Some Snuff information on U.S. smokeless tobacco

I found this on the net. It has a lot of good information on moisture & nicotine of U.S. smokeless tobacco and a lot more like histories, types and countries that use them and how. It is a PDF so it can be printed http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol89/mono89-6.pdf

Very interesting stuff. I wonder when and how Ettan made the transition from a nasal snuff to an oral snuff? As (presumably) a rapee I guess it was always rather coarse but I can’t imagine it having its modern play-doh consistency from the start.

@horus92 In American history some folks used to smash a twig end to make it like a brush then dip it into the snuff & place it along the gum line. This was just before dip was invented I would like to try a liquid one

Yeah I dip American snuffs somewhat regularly, especially when I’m hiking. I prefer the Sweet snuffs dipped and the Scotch snuffs inhaled. I don’t use a twig though, I just drop it in there haha, I used fine-cut dip before I got into snuff so I can do it without making a mess in my mouth.

Interestingly enough if you go down to page 229 there are studies on nasal snuff users in India and Africa that suggest it raises the risk of nasal and oral cancer.

It might be the products that they produce. I’ll have to check

Well then they find some problems with the studies, i.e. some don’t control for concurrent tobacco or cannabis smoking and stuff like that, and in the conclusion they say there’s “no conclusive evidence” that nasal use of snuff causes cancer.

You will find that almost all studies comes to the conclusion that they can’t be conclusive (funny) but because nasal snuff has been on a decline and in some American journals it is considered a old persons tobacco, they are not going to spend a lot of time doing research. Dip, Snus & Electronic Smokes are on the operating table since sales are rapidly increasing