Nettie Pots?

I heard a lot of folks mention these in different threads so I looked it up to see what this was. With the exception of the device, it seems to me to be just a saline solution AKA eye wash that costs a small chunk and is disturbing to look at. The more I thought about this the more I wanted to test a theory. At work I have small vials of disposable eye wash (less than a ounce) I took one of these over to a sink and tested a flush of both nostrils with just one small vial. The vials can be bought at Walgreens were you would have 6 washs for a $1.00 each Also, you could take these anywhere, just in case http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ocufresh-eye-wash/ID=prod6037457-product?ext=gooPersonal\_Care\_PLA\_Eye\_Washes\_prod6037457\_pla&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=prod6037457&sst=3e0859f7-2058-86a8-8a3d-000062d79c41 Please keep in mind that I have never used a nettie pot in my life and I am only assuming while doing a test that I forced water into one nostril while blowing out the other. Either way my nose is clean lol

distilled water and 1/8th to a quater teaspoon (per cup h20) of seasalt is pretty much saline , cost $1.20 a gallon

Youā€™ll want to use more than an ounce of water as well. More like four to six. Netties are great, though I havenā€™t used mine in some bit. You also donā€™t want to force the water out of the other nostril, rather than let it flow and make sure to breathe through your mouth during the process.

1 Like

Thanks guyā€™s I brought it up not for myself but for those that use them. I thought the price was out there for just water & salt.

its sterile , so i guess thats what ur paying for , piece of mindā€¦ tap water is not a safe option , since nettie pots where link to a few deaths from introducing bacteria basically right in to the brain

eye was saline also contains enzymes to ā€œeatā€ the protiens left on the contacts at the end of the day ā€¦ i believe ā€¦ i forgot exactly

I read about that too. I donā€™t think it really sounds fair to repackage eye wash to sell at a higher price because its being used for something different

It puts the saline in its eye or else it gets the hose again.

Nah, the salt is cheap. A big jar of Netti salt is less then $10, or use non-iodized salt for a cheaper option. I mix a 1/8 tsp or a bit more to tap water into the pot. I have a good filter on my house, so I think my water is pretty clean. I suppose I could start distilling it just to be on the safe side. Is simply boiled water distilled water, or do I actually have to run it through a still?

I use a mixture of 1-1/2 tsp pickling/canning salt to 1/2 tsp baking soda in 16 oz of water. I microwave 1/3 cup for 15-20 seconds, and irrigate using a baby nasal aspirator. This prevents crusting, rids the nose of gunk, and shrinks the mucous membranes. The water goes through the nasal passages and out your mouth. Itā€™s VERY inexpensive as you would expect, can be done multiple times a day, and after you get the hang of it the relief is so great youā€™ll wonder why you hadnā€™t been doing it your entire life.

im not here to fear monger , im in new york , and we had a similar outbreak way upstate and michigan not long ago, believe as well http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/16/louisiana-warns-about-neti-pots-after-brain-eating-amoeba-infections/ i use nettie pots all the time , but i use them because i put a hurting on my nose , which greatly increases the chance of something getting infected, not necessarily even as serious as this

@Xander, yes, boiled water becomes distilled as youā€™re boiling out the bacteria, chlorine, fluoride and the like. Let it cool way down before use as youā€™ll singe your nose. When I first started, testing out good temperatures took some practice and learned a little the hard way.

Having just sprayed my keyboard with tea I thought I would post a link to the source of the mirthā€¦ en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nettie First definitionā€¦ :))

Thereā€™s all kinds of gunk under my keys, including tea, snuff, hairā€¦ I take it apart and clean it thoroughly about once a year. Iā€™ve had this keyboard since 1998, and although a few keys give me trouble, I intend to make it last.

@ermtony That almost made me spray coffee. Itā€™s the same reason I find the term ā€˜pinchā€™ so funny. We used pinch as a term for crap as long as i can remember. So ā€˜take a bigger pinchā€™ and ā€˜put a pinch in your noseā€™ still make me laugh after all this time. Another reason this board is so awesome.

It actually should be pointed out at this time that ā€œNeti Potā€ is the correct spelling. Its not a toilet.

lol wouldnā€™t it be the sameā€¦ a device to flush crap out You got to love humor in the spelling

And our world keeps getting better, a electronic nose flushing system. ā€¦ https://www.navage.com/nose-cleaner-nasal-rinse-p/bdl-v-nc-cc.htm

Distilled water is only 1 buck a gallon at your local dollar store & sea salt is cheap as well , you canā€™t get any safer that Distilled Water. Gā€™Day

1 Like

Thatā€™s what fubar bohica is for.

1 Like