Levi Garrett

The label calls iteself, “Levi Garrett Scotch & Rappee” but I think this is a general label for a company that once produced more than one style of snuff. Well, there is nothing even remotely rappee about this snuff. I think the “rappee” in the name is due to tradition. I’m sure they once produced a proper rappee when snufftaking was more common in the US. This is a scotch snuff, and one of the best ones made. It might be the oldest one as well. These brown plastic (once glass) bottles hold the fine, strong snuff. Its not too smokey as most of the ones from competitor USST are. Neither does it have that bitterness that they do. It also has a bit more in natural flavor going for it than most of the Swisher/Helme scotches. Its very smooth as well. Some confusion has arisen in regards to this and W.E. Garrett. They are, though, in fact one and the same snuff. The brown bottle label is more of a tradition than a name. W.E. Garrett is sold in cardboard tubes, which really do not do it justice. If you believe they taste different, its more likely a storage issue. This snuff packs a nice punch and its very fine and dry. Beginners should be wary of it. I had a nice vintage bottle of this that took on a nice smooth character. But also I have since acquired a few newer ones which are harsher, but more flavorful. Great snuff and great heritage. This snuff originated 5 miles north of my home in the Red Clay Creek, so I consider it my home town snuff. The Garrett family still owns a lot of land and has a lot of influence in this area. Note: Smooth rich flavor (vinatge variation dates to pre 1965) Rating: 4/5 First tried: March 2009 Style: Scotch Grind: fin Moisture: dry

@xander,I know thread is really old, but I want to comment anyway. I have a bottle of this I bought on ebay, sealed w/ label. I think its a really nice snuff. Very plain, good tobacco, and mine seems to have mellowed with age. When I compare it next to a modern tin of the same, it is quite different. No smokiness, just a faint corky scent. The snuff is densely packed from about 1/2 an inch from the mouth, to the bottom. I’ve been thinking of taking the snuff out, spreading it on a sheet of paper, or placing in a bowl, and letting it air out for a few days or weeks to get rid of the cork scent. I’m glad I got it, but its one of those that probably will outlive me, as I don’t use it that frequently.