The Senate Snuff Boxes - A fun quick read.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/art/special/Bassett/tdetail.cfm?id=15 The Senate Snuff Boxes In olden times it was fashionable for senators to take snuff. It was the custom to keep a box of snuff on the vice president’s table. The senators would step up to the vice president’s table and take a pinch of snuff. It seemed to be a part of the senatorial dignity but soon after Mr. Fillmore was vice president, during the morning hour, when so many senators rise to offer petitions, the senators annoyed him so much that he called me up to him and said, “Bassett I want you to take this snuff box away from this table. I cannot understand what is going on in the Senate on account of the conversation of senators who come here to get a pinch of snuff. You must get some other place for it.” I suggested that on each side of the Senate there be placed a snuff box. “That is just the thing, go and have it done.” It has been done ever since. On each side of the Chamber there is secured to the walls a comely black snuff box. The snuff box is not resorted to in these days as in olden times. There is a very few senators that use snuff at this the time that I now speak, 1887. I will name a few of the senators in those days and in these who was fond of a pinch of snuff. Henry Clay, when I was a page called me often 20 times a day to bring him the snuff box off the vice president’s table. On one occasion I asked him why he did not use his own box. “Well my boy I will tell you. I have my box on my table at my hotel. If I bring it with me, I am constantly using it.” He was so fond of snuff that he would stop in the middle of sentences and holler out, “Page, bring me a pinch of snuff.” If we happened to be out (there was but two pages in those days) he would leave his seat and walk up to the vice president’s desk, take a pinch and return to his seat, and go on with his speech. It always created a laugh. No matter how crowded the floor was, the ladies would get up and let him pass. In those days ladies was admitted to the floor of the Senate. Martin Van Buren was also fond of a pinch of snuff. When he was vice president he gave me a gold snuff box to keep filled and place on the desk every morning the Senate was in session, and every Monday morning gave me fifty cents to keep it filled (I attended to it faithfully) and when his time expired as vice president just as he left the vice president’s chair, he grabbed up the box put it in his pocket and forgot to give me the fifty cents for the last week. He left the city soon after. [As a] matter of course he forgot to give me the fifty cents (so his estate still owes me the money). Senator Bibb of Kentucky was a great snuffer he carried his box in his hand most of the time he was in the Senate Chamber. Senator Thurman of Ohio was also a great snuffer. On one occasion when he was making a speech in the Senate, his snuffbox gave out. He called a page and gave it to him to “Carry to Captain Bassett and tell him to fill it and send it back to him immediately.” I was in my seat and heard what he said, went out to the case back of the Senate and filled it and handed it to the page. He carried it and gave it to the senator. He gave it a rap on top and then opened it and put a big pinch up his nose, took out his bandana handkerchief, and then went on with his speech. Senator Phelps of Vermont was an excessive snuff taker. I have often seen him come in to the Senate Chamber with his face all smeared with snuff, so much so that I have been often requested by senators to go to him and tell him. Senator Linn of Missouri was a great snuffer. He also would often come in the Senate with [snuff] running down his cheeks. Senator Preston of South Carolina was very fond of snuff. Senator Marcy of New York was a great snuffer. Senator Wilson of Maryland is a great snuffer. When the snuff box on the side of the vice president near the wall gives out he comes round to my seat and I give him pinches. I have counted them as many as 12 some days. [13B30-13B38]

I like the article and love the history, thanks for the link.

Excellent article Thorgrimnr…most interesting. thanks for posting

thanks @Citra47, glad you enjoyed it!

Very Cool!

Wow, and they’re still there, AND they are still full of snuff! I wonder how old it is, though… http://www.senate.gov/vtour/snufb.htm

Here’s a caricature of one of the named senators… https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/art/special/Bassett/imagedetail.cfm?id=38\_00190

If anyone here ever goes on a tour, they must ask what kind of snuff they use. I would think it’d need to be an american snuff–something like maccoboy if they still make it.

@Mike_B I’ll email my senator when I get home to see if she can find out, or direct me to whomever might know… Wonder if they’d send us some samples! :slight_smile:

@scottofksu: that’d be awesome!