GORD/GERD and snuff use

I’ve just been diagnosed with gastro-oesophagal reflux disease (aka GORD or acid reflux). Are there any fellow-sufferers here? If so, what effect do you find that snuff use has on your condition? I know smoking is suppsed to make it worse, but don’t know if it’s the smoke or the nicotine that causes the problem.Given that I’m not likely to lose 5 stone and exist on a diet of grilled chicken, lettuce leaves and water (which seems to be the sum total of medical advice about most things) does anybody have any tips?

I believe I have had this for 20 odd years (self diagnosed) I don’t think snuff has any effect on it at all - I have it if I snuff or if I don’t snuff. Bear in mind that all doctors will tell you any type of tobacco use is the root of all your problems - I wouldn’t dream of telling my quack about my snuff use.

I had acid reflux but it managed to go away. Snuff hasn’t had any effect on it all, but smoking did. Because the acid would burn my throat, smoking made it 2x worse so I had a sore throat all the time sometimes really bad, but snuff doesn’t seem to effect it and I’ve quit smoking anyway.

I don’t have this except on occasion, but my father and brother-in-law often do. They both find relief from symptoms with either a teaspoon of baking soda (bicarbonate) in a small glass of water, or a shot of apple cider vinegar in some water. Obviously not both at the same time, as the two would react. Also they say eating red apples helps prevent it. I can say either soda or vinegar works for me as well, in the rare case I get acid reflux.

I keep mine under control with 2x 150mg Rantidine daily.  Smoking and dip was the culprit, still can’t drink OJ, coffee is tolerable. 

The remedy that worked for me was to use the mother(RAW APPLE CIDER VINEGAR) I had a shot in some regular apple juice or cider twice every day before meals for a couple months.

Had no problems since.Alcohol abuse was the culprit . I discontinued consuming spirits, I found out I was allergic . I currently use Raw apple cider vinegar about 1/4 of the year to be replaced with other regiments like using diatomaceous earth for cleansing and Tulsa ie holy basil tea for well being.
Every thing in moderation so the body adjust to change and you don’t become immune to the benefits.

Don’t buy pasteurized A.C.V. it has no active living cultures.Same with D.E. don’t use swimming pool grade buy food grade. D.E. has no living cultures they are the dead shells of diatoms ,swimming pool grade will clog you up

Smoking was the culprit for me.  I quit smoking and started snuffing (and the occasional dip) and after a few months my acid reflux went away.  Another use for apple cider vinegar: if you ever have a bloody nose dip a Qtip in some and move it around in your nose.  It closes the bleeding capillary right up in seconds.

Am currently on a daily prilosec capsule and that pretty much wipes it out. But it would be better to find a suitable  natural remedy. Will have to find some livin’ vinegar here…

Mine was only just diagnosed (after a trip to A&E) so I’m still on the initial 30mg of lansoprazole daily. Back to the doctor in a month’s time to report if it’s worked…

Cider vinegar is probably a non-starter because the smell of vinegar makes me nauseous, but it’s good to know that there are some non-pharmaceutical options!

give up ALL dairy products. You’ll be amazed at how many other ailments vanish as well.

I get it from dip, chew, greasy food, garlic and tomato sauce.  If I avoid those things I don’t need tums/diovol.  I never get reflux from nasal snuff, though I am finding my sinuses to be blocked more even though I usually avoid menthols.