Anyone make homemade snuffs?

I had most of a twist of KingB Sweet drying out to try in a pipe, but I forgot about it and got it WAY to dry… so I broke it all up and ran in though a grinder till it was pretty powdery… Gave it a tentative sniff… and It’s pretty tasty and smells nice…
you guys making your own?

Oh yes. My favorite home made being NAS RYO cigarette tobacco (additive free), ground up and scented with a fresh orange peel over night. But then I don’t have alot of experience in making my own, but I get by.

I don’t have any experience at all… i just didn’t wanna waste a overly dessicated rope of King B… I’m a broke schmuck so I try not to waste anything if at all possible…lol
Never thought of using orange zest for flavor/scenting… good idea!

heh, I’ve never even gone as far as zesting it. I just take a whole chunk of the peel and drop it in the container, lol. Makes for easy removal that way =P I would also think it would work as well with lemons, limes, ect though too. Sorry if my wording is off. I got a cocktail of medication in me right now and I about to fall asleep right here in my chair, haha.

lol… I’m about to crawl in bed myself… gotta work tomarrow… Rest well.

I love making my own snuff. Freshly cured whole leaf tobacco is less than eighteen dollars a pound right now. No taxing and no postal limitations because it is unprocessed. Add sodium carbonate at two percent or so and maybe one percent sodium chloride and your good to go. There are a lot of tips and tricks for all the details of processing you may be able to find on this site. Making your own is a recommended part of snuff as a hobby. 

I’ve made my own for years. It is very easy to make snuff, I would say no harder than baking a cake. You can get very good results using anything from raw tobacco to hand rolling or pipe tobacco, equally as good as anything you can buy. The skill is in reproducing it exactly when you hit upon a recipe you like, so note taking is a must. There are lots of threads on here about it. The best results I got from using everyday, store bought tobacco was with Golden Virginia hand rolling - just get the required amount, leave to dry until it is completely dehydrated, turn into the required texture by using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder, flavour with enough port or coffee or both to make it as moist as you like it and leave for a couple of weeks in an airtight jar. Bicarb and salt are usually added to snuffs to enhance flavour and nicotine delivery as the illustrious Juxtaposer says, but I never have with RYO tobacco because it is already processed. Of course the real deal is making it from scratch using raw tobacco, but it is fun to experiment with stuff you can get at the local store.

1 Like

Great info there gents. Thanks for the rec. Wonder what the best OTC US tobacco is for snuff making?

If you are going to start with an OTC, I’d go with American Spirit–additive-free and neutral and then flavor as you wish with essential oils, etc.

Thanks, Mouse. I also heard that Kentucky Spirit Organic is a good base tobacco for snuff. Don’t know a thing about it besides that it is certified organic.

pardon…that should read Kentucky Select Organic

Pretty sure Snuffster sells his homemade at Mr. Snuff :slight_smile:

Snuffster is Abraxas

Well, for what its worth, my homemade KingB Sweet homemade snuff has been in my nose between breaks all day today at work… and I’m liking if more and more! I could def get used to this snuff thing!

This @Snuffster cool to be so transparent with us.Your ,here, a vector of very new project for me,I have already some ideas,a coffee grindrer, and found a sailor on tobacco leaves on line.Thanks(juxtaposer too) for democratic information.

Would love to make some homemade strong SP like Tom Buck…any ideas on proportions, flavorings, etc??

Here is a great idea for a Tom Buck like SP. 

http://snuffhouse.org/discussion/5642/recipe-for-queens-snuff

That would be one dram of scent mix to eight ounces of snuff.

thank you…will give it a try

i got some tobacco seeds tobacum/rustica/sylvestris its about that time of year to have em sprouted had some last year didnt do much with em chewed a leaf here/there POTENT!

The uncured stuff’ll do that… :slight_smile: