Does Snuff Work For You?

Hey Everyone, So I have been working through my Sampler Pack from Toque for some time, and I still REALLY want to Chew/Dip/Smoke. Does anyone else find that snuff just really doesn’t scratch that itch of a bitch nicotine craving? JR

#1, you have to WANT to change your habits, but yes, it’s very possible to have snuff take the place of cigs/dip. There are only a few times I feel like a smoke, but it passes. Snuff seeps into your blood over time, it seems…give it a while, it’s not the quick jolt of cigarettes.

I can quit my other tobacco use anytime, but I feel like i am going to explode without snuff. Maybe it is just a mental dependence on the nicotine delivery system of choice.

I quit smoking less than 6 months ago and haven’t had a problem or a craving for cigarettes. I started off with American scotches, that was the only snuff sold in my town, and had no idea what I was doing. This sounds odd to everyone but I found if sniffed hard and got the sinus burn that my cigarette cravings went away. Kind of like those people who use a rubberband on their wrist, snap it when you get a cigarette craving and you think about the rubberband rather than the cigs. Combine that with the nicotine the snuff puts in your system, which is at least as much and maybe more than cigarettes, and I was off cigs without any problems. I smoked over a pack a day for over 20 years and haven’t had any problems qutting with snuff. I have now gotten better at doing snuff and don’t need the burn anymore. Just keep at it JayYat, do lots of snuff lots of different ways to find out what works for you, it is worth it I promise as I feel tons better physically from quitting smoking.

What they said. Also, read the ‘new to snuff’ thread that’s currently going on, some good advice there. Rest assured, the nicotine IS there, you just need to develop your technique, and, silly as it might sound, you have ‘look for it’. What I mean by this is that because the uptake from snuff is different and perhaps less noticable for a beginner, sometimes it’s there but you just don’t realise it. I only realised this when I had been snuffing and then tried to smoke a cigarette. I couldn’t finish the cigarette because it was starting to make me feel queasy, and it was then I realised that there was already a lot of nicotine in my system. Since this happened, I have learned to know what to ‘look for’ and am able to appreciate the ‘lift’ that snuff gives. Because you don’t get the instant effect like with a cigarette, you can have a lot of nicotine in you but just feel ‘normal’. There’s no real buzz, it sorta creeps up on you. Why don’t you try an experiment? Load up on snuff, a few small pinches in each nostril, repeat after five minutes, then try to smoke a cigarette after another five. Maybe you’ll be able to duplicate what happened to me.

I quit smoking for the first month cold turkey…after getting over the hump, a friend of mine came back from Europe with some McChyrstals O&G that he turned me on to. I used that every time I started feeling a pull back to cigarettes and it worked. Not so sure it would have worked if I had tried to replace smoking with snuff from day 1 though. I think you have to get past the physical and rote routine parts of smoking first. Snuff has kept me from going back to smoking for sure though.

@JayYat have you tried Swedish snus?

Yes.  It works for me.

IF I have an unusual craving to smoke I just puff on my ecig.

Try adopting this approach: make your plans to stop etc etc, but give yourself this safety net - say to yourself that the second things get too bad you will use whatever tobacco form you like, then immediately get back on the wagon with no guilt or explanations and no apologies owed to anyone. It’s what I did and it helped greatly. Work towards snuff being the main supplier of nicotine and then taylor it from there. Mental straightjackets are poor tools and that is what our so called willpower seems to mostly be. 

A bunch of good points here.  It’s normal to fall off the wagon, but you’ve got to get back on.  Also, pick up some stout American scotches for your nicotine fix, and mix them with the Toques for flavor.  You want Rooster, Square, Garrett, the burners like those for the nicotine.

I quit with snuff and the technique I used was to only snuff when I wanted a cigarette.  The snuffing took over very naturally that way.  I’ve gotten off the scotches for periods and those are the times I inevitably got cig cravings.  Toque Quit and Rooster 50/50 is what I finally settled on.  I get flavor and kick out of that blend right there, but I find the Quit alone is not near strong enough for me.  I like to rip some straight American Scotch, then sit back and enjoy the other snuffs.

Incidentally, could someone recommend a non-American straight tobacco snuff with high nic? @Vathek I’m going to try that Viking.

I also find the Toques to not have near as much vitamin-n as American Scotches do. I never intended on quitting cigarettes, but since I’ve started snuffing, I hardly ever smoke. 

@Snuffster The safety-net approach is certainly a good way to go. No sense in beating yourself up over a habit in my opinion. 

Its the way people start giving explanations of their selves when they crack and have a cigarette that is tragic. I don’t think people should make a big deal out of it and make lots of solemn announcements. We had a guy on here a couple of years ago that did a stop smoking blog, full of his thoughts and feelings. When he cracked he almost seemed ashamed. You owe no one an apology if you are dealing with an addiction and you should be gentle with yourself. Smoke if you need to; just try to hold out and take some snuff before you do. At some point there will be a switch over in your brain chemistry that starts the craving for snuff not smoke - this is well known., but you do have to throw yourself into the attempt. It won’t come easy and you have to have a degree of faith that snuff will supply what you need. There is a lot of mental re-wiring to do, but that doesn’t have to be done overnight and it is very, very possible to succeed.

1 Like

does anyone know where i can get some rooster or any of the other american scotches in the uk?

Thanks Vathek.

I’m going to the US in a couple of weeks so I might wait and see if I can find some there.

@vmank1q, depends where you are going in the US if you will be able to find american scotches in a brick and mortar store.  In the South East it is more common than other parts of the country.

Ken

I’m heading to Tulsa in OK.

Not sure, I have never been there.  I would wager you might find it in a convenience store but more likely a tobacconist will be a better bet.

Ken

Seems like there is member here from Tulsa. Maybe he will spot the thread.

I would try an Indian Smoke Shop. There are several in Tulsa. The tobacconist that I have stopped in on in Tulsa just had Dean Swift. But I haven’t been to them all.

Thanks guys.

I looked up tobacconists in Tulsa and there are several. Plus the smoke shops is a good idea.

Also, If you ever need any, I’d be willing to send some over for you. My local tobacco shop carries a decent selection, as well as the grocery store (surprisingly enough)