Dean Swift Snuff

So I tried some of the Dean Swift SP and the Bezoar today. I was all excited, loved the SP, liked the bezoar, then I came over here, did a quick search, and found that everyone pretty much hates Dean Swift. I think one of the reasons I like it so much is that I don’t have to be as careful with the sniffs as i do with the WE Garrett I have been snuffing. That stuff is so dry and harsh that it takes some practice just to not choke every time. I really can say I do like the flavor of these two snuffs. A little more expensive than I would have liked, at about $10 for 2 tiny little tins, but I kind of expect that when I am buying from a local shop. So is there no one else here who likes these? Am I all alone? Am I going to hate them too when I get some different snuffs in?

Hey Nacho where did you pick it up from? I thought they only carried Garrett in our neck of the woods.

I don’t like Dean Swift purely because I’ve never come across a tin that wasn’t dry as a bone, nor am I likely to since apparently there hasn’t been any new Dean Swift manufactured in about 5 years.

if you think dean swift is easy to take try almost any other english snuff. I used to like dean swift then I tried wilsons.

I was up in Austin for the Race for the Cure and stopped at Pipe World on Anderson Lane. They said they just recently started getting snuff in again. The Dean Swift was all they had, but they did have quite a few flavors.

“if you think dean swift is easy to take try almost any other english snuff. I used to like dean swift then I tried wilsons.” I have an order of ten tins of Toque coming in sometime. We’ll see how that goes. I have a Toque SP in that order and it will be interesting to see what the difference is. I know the Dean Swift SP has a clove flavor and I guess that is not traditional. I did like it though. :slight_smile:

My basic overview of the Dean Swift range could be summarized: “not entirely terrible” Bob is right though. If you like Dean Swift, you’ll love Wilsons and wonder what you ever saw in Swift. Apricot and Inchkenneth are not bad, but the WoS Apricot is superior.

definatly. The wos apricot is utterly amazing where as the dean swift is alright.

Just visited on Wilsons website and saw that they sell Dean Swift 5g tins at 0,92£ so is it worth to buy these or should i just go with the wilsons other brands?

I thought that Swift were american brand…

It was a contract brand manufactured by Wilsons for a US company to sell on the US market since the 1960s. A few years ago that company disappeared and the snuffs discontinued. Apparantly they have been recently revived. I’m guessing an arrangement between Mr.Snuff, Wilson’s and the original trademark holder has been reached. They are worth trying, and there are some unique scents there not available under the regular Wilson’s line. Some are pretty odd though. Read some reviews first.

I will stick with the proving gods of snuff.SG,Wos,Dholakia,and many others

They are worth having for their novelty, the clove SP is decent.  

In the minority I guess, but I like the Peppermint and the Jasmine- which is imo a decent incarnation of jasmine, if you like jasmine tea you just might like it.

The jasmine is interesting. It’s got a little bit of menthol not a tonne. The peppermint is good. The night watch used to be amazing. We shall see if the new reintroduced is as amazing.

I must try the black watch, the specific, and to see if the jasmine is as it used to be- I’m not sure it was much different than WoS’s though.

I was sent a tin of the Dean swift sp and love it though I’m newish to snuffing

Waaaayyyy back when Dean Swift Snuff was manufactured by a great old guy in San Francisco. His tiny little building out in the hinterlands was a veritable museum of Dean Swift. Old packaging; from cloth sacks, 1 oz tubes, .5 oz metal snuffboxes, side-tappers and everything in between. I walked out of there $100 poorer, but a million dollars wealthier in snuff. The old Bezoar Fine Grind was the ultimate Aniseed-Menthol-Camphor-Eucalyptus snuff! When I was pulling Port-Starboard watches I’d go through about an ounce a week. When I wasn’t wearing out a few dozen .5 oz tins of Dr. Rumney’s Mentholyptus. The old school tobacconist, Drucquer & Sons in Berkeley had a pretty fair offering of nasal delights too. EDIT: I stand corrected. Manufactured in England, not San Francisco. My bad…it was the seventies after all, and San Francisco.

@maxmorter glad that you liked the SP, I think I’ll stick to Black Watch & Bezoar from the Dean Swift line.

I had a load bought me for Christmas. Of the ones I’ve tried, I have to say SP, Dean’s Own, Bezoar and Cinnamon have really “done it” for me. Bezoar especially, because it’s like SM Blue with an aniseed topping, and I adore SM Blue. DS Specific I find really difficult to deal with, the Strawberry was about as good as the WoS Strawberry I’ve got (ie: not very), and I can’t detect any apricot in the Apricot. I’m coming to the conclusion that me and “dry” fruit-scented snuffs just aren’t made for each other, although the exception that proves the rule is WoS Raspberry, which is amazing.

I have some reservations on American snuffs. I come to conspiracy that they put harmful chemicals in them. This is not based on any proof. I just know how the tobacco companies here behave. hmmmmm…