Snuff Spoons anyone else use one?

I recently bought a salt spoon. I have found this to be the best way to take more finely powdered snuffs. Basicly I fill the bottom half of the spoon bowl (can’t think of a better term) then hold the snuff about half way between my upper lip and my nostril then sniff very sharply (i.e. hard but for only about a fraction of a second). I’am just wondering if anyone else finds spoons to be the best method. P.s. for more clumpy and coarse snuffs I find the pinch method to work best. B.O.

Hello bob & welcome, You can check out the discussions here taking snuff. On the 2nd & 3rd page you can see some of our spoons. Some bought and some are homemade. I’m just the opposite of you. For a fine snuff I prefer to pinch. I will use the spoon on occasion just to break up the routine a little bit. You can see my homemade spoon on the second page, made with copper & deer antler.

Mo, your wittling skills are superb. I can’t say enough about how professional that spoon looks, very cool! Troutstroker, yours looks awesome as well, the perfect outdoorsman/creativity sample. Mine is a piece of 12 gauge copper wire, stripped of its insulation, smashed with a hammer, shaped with a pliers and sanded smooth (sort of). It’s not great but it works for it’s intended purpose, fits nicely into the little hole in those Poschl’s containers…it’s really aggravating trying to get the amount you want out of those and onto your hand! You can kind of see it in the picture at the “the collection build’s fast, huh” thread. I think that the pinch method suits me best for all the snuffs I’ve tried, regardless of texture. Seems to spread throughout the nasal passages, smooth and enjoyable. The spoon is OK but somehow less satisfying as the snuff seems to end up somewhere totally different, just seems to go in one place with a sharp “whack”, if that makes any sense?

I don’t know if I already said this but the easiest way I have found to use spoons for dry snuff is to take a deep breath in before useing the snuff so that you can barely suck any more air in then putting the spoon below your nose and breathing in. It’s the way I’ve been doing it recently.

I like using a snuff spoon when I’ve gone a while between snuffs… If I want a portion bigger than a pinch I’ll take a straw and cut it at an angle to make a spoon and take a nice big snuff out of that…

Man, pocket knives are severely underestimated tools. I prefer my Gerber Suspension Multi-tool, however. I had no idea how handy a pair of pliers could be, not to mention the wire cutter.

Multi-tools are great. I usually have my Gerber multitool on while I’m out at the ranch, out hiking or fishing. Pliers and the screwdrivers get used the most. But I don’t go anywhere without my CRKT MY TIGHE assisted opening Tactical knife! I don’t know how many times a day I pull it out to use on something. I almost feel naked without it!

Keys work as well, or I keep my pinky nail long to use as a scoop, and can take from the nail, or pour on the back of my hand and break it all up if it’s balled up.

I carry the SpyderCo “Police” on a daily basis… It’s a real workhorse.

This is a pic of my workhorse. Nice size 8 inches overall length. This sucker flings open like a switch blade with just a light flip of the thumb.

@unchris - They are, I used to carry benchmade’s but I got tired of tearing up $150+ knives and decided that I’d rather put the wear and tear on an $80 knife instead.

I carry this around when I go hiking: It’s pretty great for digging, cutting wood, and cleaving the ever living hell out of whatever happens to need a good cleaving. Other than that I keep the multi-tool handy. I have a Gerber pocket knife as well; so I went with Gerber for the multi-tool.

TheLong, I use something very similar when I go camping. Its got pretty thick 1/4" blade. Good for clearing brush, firewood etc.

Yeah, this thing is about 1/4 thick as well. It isn’t all that sharp, but that’s not the point, it really is a force operated wedge and a workhorse; you’re not going to filet a fish, but you’re going to get a lot of heavy work done quickly. It’s pretty heavy and just feels natural when used for work around the campsite. edit: @ausmike. Yep, it’s a kukri. Very handy. That looks like a nice unfinished one I was looking at getting.

Yeah you don’t want those razor sharp. That just makes it easier to nick/damage the blade.

This is probably the absolute best thing I have found for sharpening your pocket knives. Caramic Rods Just 2-3 swipes per side & your ready to shave. And such an awesome deal as well. I keep one it the vehicle, fishing bag, hunting bag etc. Great when field dressing game. Give a couple swipes to put a new edge when skinning.

I’d be afraid to with mine. I keep it so sharp you could cut yourself without feeling it. Generally I’m a pinch & sniff man. I do use it to cut a piece off plug tobacco on occasion.

@deficiency, its the CRKT MY TIGHE. They are available in solid black as well including black blade. Also have serrated edge version. This has the outburst assisted opening. It has the pocket/belt clip. I wear it clipped to the inside of my pocket so that the clip is on the outside of pocket & the knife on inside. There is also a Mini My Tighe you can see on the link. The mini with serrated edge looks pretty sweet.

Here is a pic of some of my favorites! The top 2 were both of of my grandpa’s WW2 knives. These are 2 I bought for gifts this past holiday. Top one for my Dad & the other for my younger brother both in Missouri. Both knives are Marbles. They had nice sheaths but didn’t get them in the pic.