Gawith Hoggarth English Rose

Have had a deep appreciation for the rose snuffs, and ermtony’s recent and excellent rose reviews had sparked a renewed desire to try all that I could find. I have always enjoyed The Wilson’s Rose of Sharrow, and it was one of my first bulk purchases, no regrets. I soon discovered the Attar of Rose from the Snuff Shop, it is trually top shelf and I have built a freshness shrine to keep it in, It would be hard to top the Attar, only the courser grind detracts from and excellent rose and tobacco blending. Sublime! I have recently started on a fresh tub of Gawith Hoggarth English Rose and find it to be a bit of a mystery, as I find it too be more of a rose and carnation scent, I love the texture and grind, and it has absolutely no burn at all, my tub is a fresh as I could imagine it could ever be, perfect level of moistness. It is the back level of carnation that puzzles me, not unpleasant by any means, just distinctively like a blend of those two scents.

I love GH’s English rose, but can’t sniff a great deal of it. I might get to work on my old 10g tap box tomorrow and see what it’s like… I remember the first time I tried it. I rushed home from town excited after my trip to Greens of Leeds, a bag full of new snuffs. I cracked it open and took a huge whiff sat in the garden on a warm summers day whilst reading politics text books. I was put in mind of a Fry’s Turkish delight, an impression that’s lasted ever since. To me it’s the perfect summer snuff and one I’ve completely neglected as of late, it’s not even in my “most used” box any more, something I’m going to rectify as soon as I’ve made this post. I don’t really get the carnation smell, or rather I don’t remember it, but I’ll see tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me of this little gem, I do hope that tap box hasn’t become a sneeze box in the past few months…

@Spam- I hate to think of this one out of a tapper, especially with a little time on it, I bet it is a bit sharp, rose is such a delicate snuff that I will only keep it in semi bulk 50g amounts, I tend to put them in glass jars with excellent seals with as little head room left as possible, I quickly decant to a five gram smash box. I guess a little airing out is in order with the GH. I highly recommend the Attar of Rose for a real aromatherapy (and nic) session! I have a rainy day and a bit of Spartan going right now, lighting the wood stove for the first time as we speak. I have a half pound tub of Wilson’s, taped closed, and it is doing fine at six months, still plenty fresh and moist, still has ammonia actually, but I keep it in a 70% humidor. i have to air it out properly, just as new.

I find GH’s English Rose is the perfect snuff for sitting through long speeches in the House of Lords.

Haha! Had a few nosefulls of this today, it’s a bit dry, but other than that everything I remember it to be. Thanks for the reminder.