Paraffin oil?

Hi, I have said here before that I have had some nasal issues while snuffing, getting stopped up alot etc. I thought maybe it was menthols that gave me this reaction, maybe the weather/seasons, but now I wonder if it’s something else? Now since it has gotten colder, it has been alot less, but still some, and I really don’t know what’s “normal” or how others are. But today I was using this Benards all day. I like it, but it seemed to affect my clear nasal breathing. Though I did use menthols yesterday. Well, I read than Benards are made using paraffin oil. I also seem to recall reading that Poschl uses paraffin oil. I may be totally on the wrong idea here, but I wonder now, if it could be paraffin oil that has be easily stopped up. So, I wondered if anyone might agree, or have any comments. And if this could be it, what snuffs do we know use this, or is highly suspected. And what would be some recommended non-paraffin oil snuffs, menthol and non? Thanks

All English snuffs are water based. Most German snuffs are oil based.

I like Bernards, but Zweifacher has been causing me to get stuffed like the Poschl. The other Bernards, I didn’t notice that happening, so I blamed it on the menthol, but I could well be wrong. I’d hate to quit the Bernards too like I have Poschl, but I’ll pay more attention next time I go with the other Bernards schmalzlers I’ve been liking.

I’m just trying to figure out what the issue here is for me. I hate being stopped up. So, I wanna find a snuff that doesn’t. And I’d like to find what it is that is doing it. Menthol? Season? Paraffin? I do think for me, as the weather has changed, it’s alot better than when it was hot. But I like menthols, and that’s usually what I grab. So, considering what I’ve said, what snuffs do you recommend for me, that should not give me any problem? I know I have some Wilsons coming in, and JH Wilson SP. I guess I just have to experiment by doing a certain snuff exclusively for a few days.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t have Toque Original at the moment, but I will use what English made non-menthols I have, trying one type exclusively for a couple of days and see what I think. Is there a certain snuff that seems to dry ones nose out? I usually have the other problem, extreme moisture. So, I wanna try something that’s more drying. I’ve been snuffing for a while now, but I am always rotating snuffs all the time, I have no idea which one could be doing what.

Tom, Do you use toast or scotch regularly? While I love Bernard and Pöschl, they do sometimes clog me up a little, depending on the variety of course. I live in the desert right now, so having a dry nose is pretty common. But, even though it’s already dry, when I uses scotches, I very rarely get clogged, and I don’t seem to get the really bad boogers to be blunt.

Scotches are good for that, I agree. My recommendation would be a basic SP (not a complex one). Wilson’s Best SP, SP100 or SS all have a nice clearing effect for me. Wilson’s Lavender seems to do it too. So too does F&T Seville. They are all relatively drying as compared to making the nose run. I get stopped up occasionally and often times its a single nostril. I usually can work around it. Finding a way to force it in helps to clear it.

Maybe what I am experiencing isn’t so uncommon. But it has really gotten better since the weather is changing. I was Toque Menthol last night, and while I got some nose run, it didn’t clog me up much at all, just brief moments. I haven’t snuffed at all today yet, but might try a non-menthol later. I don’t have any SPs at the moment, or scotches, I really don’t care for the scotches. I do have the Toque “toasts”. I wonder if Fubar Grunt has paraffin in it?

Thanks Roderick, I do have a neti pot, and should probably use it more. I think I’ll start today, doing it before bed. Now, your Toque Snuffs, are they water based? Or paraffin? I really just enjoy menthols, I may have to just resign myself to the effects, and I’m not even sure if the paraffin is the problem(or part), and like I keep saying, the weather change seems to have an impact. Maybe this is just a part of snuffing and I’m being whiney. Oh where is that cherry menthol?

My Sinuses have been pretty bad since my first breath, but have actually improved when I started snuffing. The Poeschl’s also have a tendency to stop things up. Would not be in the least surprised that Paraffin is indeed the cause of that. J&H Wilson’s Medicated No. 99 clears me out very quickly. Himalaya has much the same effect. Took a toot of Gletscher last night, partially as an experiment, in fact, and I do feel more congested than usual.

Toque Toffee definitely has a real cinder toffee flavour to it. Probably why I was initially disappointed, as I was expecting a Callard & Bowser-ish taste. Have come to appreciate it quite a bit now. With a whiff of fresh air, it’s like a momentary trip back to childhood!

I “think” I have read that paraffin is a wax. Anyway, I just did some Toque Quit. It’s been rather cold today, and my sinuses have been doing well. I just poured a pint of Boddingtons ale.

Paraffin is a synthetic wax; petroleum based. Its what most candles are made of nowadays. Candles can also be made of beeswax or spermaceti oil from whales.

Mmmmm, Boddingtons.

@Xander. Did I read that right about Spinetti oil from Wales? (I’m sorry.) Paraffin is definitely a wax, though, so the effect of putting it up your nose is a little like letting a candle drip into your nostril. (I’ve heard some people enjoy such things…Not that there’s anything wrong with that…)

I have a hard time understanding how a clean paraffin (liquid paraffin is mineral oil) causes the severe allergic reactions I get from Poschl snuffs, while I’m not allergic to mineral oil, or glycerin. That’s why I think it’s lard, or something containing animal by-products. In some countries, a producer has to disclose the contents of a human use product. This is a case where I’m hoping that content disclosure laws eventually tell what’s really in it. Inquiring minds want to know.

I find that snuff with a good nose burn don’t clog me, but those that just sit there in your nose do.

Sounds like the body is trying to protect itself from something

poschels clog me up terribly no other snuffs do that. I wish too to know what is causing it. Bernards don’t clog me up terribly but poschels do. Well president doesn’t, just to make it more complicated. I often wonder if it’s something about the scents or what.

It seems somewhat random what clogs me up. Some days, I just can’t do menthols, others I can use nothing but. I could see something like paraffin causing an allergic reaction in some people though. Maybe snuffs with paraffin are like snus that contain juniper. Some people just can’t touch them.