New York Public Library

I just found this site over the weekend. It has some interesting snuff history and tobacco in general. I loved this quote. "Karel van Mander (Dutch, 1610–1670) Lauwercrants/ Voor alle Lieffhebbers des Loffwaerden Snuyfftoebacks. Als oock Haer Gheboort, ende hooghe Hercomst [Laurel wreath for all amateurs of the honorable snuff tobacco. In addition, her lofty origins] N.p., 1665 Arents Tobacco Collection In a new twist on the story of the mythological origins of tobacco and Olympian dislike of smoke, the goddess Pallas proclaims that tobacco is the divine herb that had been prophesied: pulverizing the leaves, she produces snuff, which is then disseminated all over the earth. Van Mander (the son of the more famous early chronicler of Dutch art) calls snuff a friend of the Muses, a soul-baring friend, a sense-sharpening pastime, a mind-tickling pleasure, oil in the brainworks, a friend of good thoughts, and an igniter of invention. " Check it out if you like. http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/spe/art/print/exhibits/drydrunk/sneeze.htm Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

That’s pretty interesting, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:he who lives without tobacco is not worthy of living” - a little extreme, but funny none the less.

@bigmick That’s great! 'a friend of the Muses, a soul-baring friend, a sense-sharpening pastime, a mind-tickling pleasure, oil in the brainworks, a friend of good thoughts, and an igniter of invention. ’ That sounds like a perfect description of at least three of my favourite vices! :smiley:

Glad you guys liked it. I found the whole thing interesting. The things one can find when bored and unable to sleep.

" A friend of the muses, a soul-baring friend, a sense-sharpening pastime, a mind-tickling pleasure, oil in the brainworks, a friend of good thoughts, and an igniter of invention. " Van Mander.

Looks interesting and somewhat lighthearted. I’ll have to give it a read later when I have a bit of time. Thanks, Mick! That 17th century Dutch must look a lot like Afrikaans, eh Pieter?