OT - Driving Test

As much as I’d like to tell you I was sat here with a tin of Toque champagne, celebrating the fact I was now legally qualified to drive, I can’t :frowning: It appears my ability to remember what the speed limit in a traffic calming zone and to do 360° observation whilst trying to reverse around a corner have failed me. There’s a long list of expletives that describe how I feel, but I shan’t share them. Time to condole myself with some O&G and start working out how I’m going to afford the £100 needed to do it all again.

£100! Ouch! Our rates just went up (in Florida). To renew our DL it is now $48 compared to the $10 it was before, and our tags now cost over $80 compared to $46. Highway robbery, pun intended.

I’m a late driver, in that while many were driving at 16, and even had their own cars, I never got my license till my mid 20’s. But I never had anyone “teach” me. I knew the basics and had driven before. But I took Sears Driving School, it was maybe $200 total, I can’t remember how many drive times that included, maybe 4? But it was easy as heck, and we, the teacher and I even drove to the lisence place and I passed it all right away.

I was late to get my license too. My parents wouldn’t let me get it until I got good grades in school and well… I think i was a legal adult before I got it! In my high school the joke was that you could tell the teacher’s parking lot from the students lot by the type of cars. The teacher’s lot had Hondas and Toyotas, the student’s lot had Trans Ams and Corvettes. My first car was a 1974 Vega that I paid $400.00 for, btw.

I remember being nervous taking the test. My dad and grandfather had me driving as soon as I could reach the pedals (I think I was 12) so I was pretty comfortable behind the wheel when I turned 16. My grandfather made me drive around an entire mall parking lot backwards before he would let me drive forwards. I think it took me three hours to get it right. I HATED that, but I’m very grateful for it now…I can parallel park like a madman. My first car was a green '78 Chevy Nova. Built like a tank…until I was hit by a tractor-trailer. not pretty, but it did drive me home still. You’ll surely pass it the next time, Spam.

Sorry to hear that, Spam - better luck next time. I don’t drive, have never wanted to, still don’t.

Don’t worry, Spam, you will nail it next time~ I am already in my mid-20s and still haven’t got a driver’s license. That’s because I don’t ever wanted to drive a car. However, I do want to get a motorcycle license, this is required if I want to ride a scooter with an engine more powerful than 50cc.

It’s good to read some of your stories :slight_smile: Thanks for the condolences everyone, it doesn’t really matter but I’ve sunk so much time, energy and money in to it and it all seems a bit wasted. I better book my next one as soon as I can!

The user and all related content has been deleted.

I took the test at 29, another late driver. Failed dismally the first time, a chimp could have driven better. I got it on the second attempt as you will. Good luck mate.

I’am not a driver not really interested at this point. Of course you could always hire a chimp to drive for you if you don’t get it this time.

Thanks for the kind words guys. That’s plan c bob!

Hire a chimp??