Can you?

Can you use cutting board mineral oil for greasing up the snuff?

You can use any refined edible oil. I tried refined canola oil, it was ok. Don’t use any virgin grade oil (it’s too rancid and spoils fast) or oil for frying (it has some additive).

That is, if you can’t stand the taste of ghee or clarified butter.

You can use up to 18%, if you aim for a schmalzler texture. Start with smaller amount, like 10%, though, and mix properly (at least 5 minutes for 10 g of snuff).

1 Like

Alright so like 2ml per 10g of snuff. What is the proper mixing procedure? I assume I don’t drip it into the snuff. Maybe coat a dish with it then add snuff?

I simply drip the oil in and stir everything up with a teaspoon. It does take time to mix it thoroughly, but eventually you efforts will result in a uniform texture.

If 2 ml of oil are added to 10 g of snuff, mass fraction of oil within the mixture is app. 16%, typical for schmalzler. Add less and gradually increase the amount (if needed) while stirring and checking the consistency. The change of texture is noticeable with as little as 5%.

Just in case you didn’t know, you can get food grade mineral oil cheap at any pharmacy, usually with the laxitives.

2 Likes

Be wary of the grind. Through trial and error I found finer grinds need a lot less oil. I tried to grease some Tube Rose with fractionated coconut oil (does not solidify) a few years back and after adding about 1 tsp (4.9 ml) to 10g of snuff and it was so overdone. So, so, very over done. I know now it was too much but at the time I went and slowly added the whole tin (34g) to try and level it out. I wound up throwing it out because it was too thick to snuff and I was done playing.

2 Likes