Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Two new Fine Border snuffs.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Two new Fine Border snuffs.

J&H Wilson's Top Mill No. 1, Large tin

I would like to make sure the fine people who produce J&H Wilson's snuffs are aware: your customers would Love if Top Mill No1 were available in larger, and most importantly better sealed, containers than the 5g swivel tap boxes.

If Top Mill No1 were offered in the current J&H Large tins like SP and MED I would gladly buy in at a couple 12x boxes of tins. Top Mill is a great snuff but no snuff can survive those tap boxes for long.

Comments

• volungevolunge Member
    edited May 23 PM
    @47 Worth re-posting this on WoS Facebook wall (search for "Wilsons & Co. (Sharrow) Ltd.", they are quite active there).

Possibly, the scarce amount of this particular snuff is determined technically - (if this is the case) - might be a grind thing, which reflects in the name of the snuff itself. I guess they can't produce larger amount of the base flour of that mill fraction. This would explain the tiny tin size.

All in all, a very nice snuff this!

• n9inchnailsn9inchnails Moderator
    edited May 23 PM
    J&H Wilson snuff is made by Imperial Tobacco not WoS. And although I'd love if this snuff came in vac tins I dont think Imperial Tobacco gives two shits about their snuffs so I dont see it happening anytime soon.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited May 23 PM
    Yes, IT owned quite a few snuff brands, but sold them to Mac Baren. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/mac-baren-acquires-brands-from-imperial-tobacco/ (kudos to @crullers for the link).

Still, whoever is the present owner of the brand, I have a feeling that J&H (as well as Hedges L260 and whole McChrystal's range) are made somewhere in South Yorkshire.

Now, the following quote isn't a proof of anything, it just reveals apparently a not so uncommon practice of contracted manufacture: "[..]as we have been producing some of these brands for them for years, this
    transaction makes a lot of sense for both parties".

I sent a request to MB, will paste their answer here (if ever get it).
  • ar47ar47 Member
    Thanks guys!

I've considered in the past that the production is so low because that matches demand, but here I believe they would sell more than 2x if they invested. Interesting perspective @volunge that they might already be selling all they can produce.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited May 24 PM
    @ar47, it seems you are right about demand-matching low production. Here's the reply I just got from MB ISM:

"Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you. We don't have any plans of making the Top Mill as a 20 gr. I have never heard there's a demand for this before, so it's not something we have considered."

@n9inchnails, you nailed it, buddy.

However, if low production is not a result of some mfg peculiarities, but is demand-determined, then I'm sure that offering Top Mill in small containers only is doing the demand of this snuff one great disservice. A vicious circle.

P. S. Interesting TM No 1 label info in the very first post in this thread: https://snuffhouse.com/discussion/11700/j-h-wilson-s-tins ("manufactured for Mac Baren").

• ar47ar47 Member
    @volunge great info and thanks for reaching out to them!

They see the demand so low because us snuff conneiseurs hate 5g tap boxes!
  • peacockpeacock Member
    ive never ordered it because it comes in such a small amount. i snuff enough that 5g just isnt worth ordering especially when you factor in shipping to the USA because mrsnuff increases the shipping rate per item and not just by weight. i was thinking a larger container might generate more interest if there are others here like me
  • ar47ar47 Member
    @peacock thanks I agree!
  • mrmanosmrmanos Member
    They need to put this in 25 gm vacuum tims. End of story.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited 7:47AM PM
    I sent them quite a few links to Snuffhouse threads where the need of large tin of Top Mill No. 1 was mentioned.

The last reply I got was: "Thank you very much for your feedback. There's something for us to consider."

Let's convince them there is a demand for it! https://mac-baren.com/contact-us/ It takes just a minute to fill a request form there.
  • rostanfrostanf Member
    edited 8:41AM PM
    @Volunge I sent them a message.
  • DxxDxx Member
    Me too
  • rostanfrostanf Member
    Capture+_2019-09-18-06-25-48
  • volungevolunge Member
    It's either a template reply or a case of short memory there.. I got the same reply to my very first message I sent them in May.

Anyway, thank you guys for letting Mac Baren know we need it!