Snuff keeps going too far

Hey guys looking for some insight here, I am having an issue with snuff going too far into my nose. I have done all sorts of methods like the pinch method, the back of the hand, the box car, and snuff bullets but no matter what I do the snuff always goes right up into the sinuses and boy does it burn. Is there something I’m just doing wrong? The snuffs I’ve taken thus far are Wilsons of Sharrow Ripple, Wilsons of Sharrow Apricot, Toque Peach, Aecht Altbayerischer Schmalzler, and Samuel Gawith Elmo’s Reserve. The worst ones are the Schmalzler and the W of S Apricot, Ripple and Elmo’s Reserve aren’t really that bad and I’ve yet to try the other snuff i have which is Wilsons of Sharrow Bee M. which I look forward to trying. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated and thank you to all that help.

Take a deep breath and hold it while sniffing lightly through the nose.

hmmm might try that. Thanks for the advice!!

Try just lodging it into your nostril, then pinching to keep it there.  Don’t even sniff.  Also, if nostrils are too dry it’s easier to inhale.  I use saline spray because I live in the desert.  

ya i find that my nostrils get very dry especially during Winter

@Chico what brand of nasal saline spray would you recommend?

Lick/wet your ring finger and coat the inside of your nose with moisture. Unless you’re too ladylike that is…

2 Likes

You can also try wrinkling your nose while sniffing lightly…that did it for me.

I think it depends also from our nasal structure We are not all the same and this influences how you take snuff

1 Like

for me the best thing was realizing it’s called snuff the same way alcohol is called drink and cigarettes are called smokes. It’s named after how you ingest it. You know how when you blow out a candle or snuff the candle out you blow a short gust. Well when taking snuff you snuff in with way less force then with snuffing a candle but brief gentle inhalations seem to work best for me.

1 Like

Don’t worry. Practice makes perfect.

3 Likes

I’ve been using the hold breath in and so far it’s working but only for the Ripple snuff by W of S and the Schmalzler but the Apricot is still very much difficult to take as for keeping my nose moist i have taken to using a saline spray that i was able to find at wal-mart so that has definitely helped. I’ve also taken to using bullets alot more but using CousinStuffy’s method of using the bullet which seems to be working the reason for using bullets more is due to where i work they are much more convenient. 

1 Like

Has the snuff lost its moisture?

If you trim your nose hair, try not trimming it too far into the nose. The hairs will keep snuff from going to far and too fast. They also hold some of the snuff which improves the perception and longevity of the scent.

2 Likes

though the bottom line is the only thing that really works is practice. Eventually it gets easy most of the time.

@ar47 nah i usually rotate the snuff after every 1-2 evenings so I don’t think they’ve lost any moisture they’re also kept in a cool, dark, and dry place in mason jars so I know I’m storing them properly

@SammyD13 I don’t trim my nose hairs as they have yet to grow that long (I’m only 27) but I will at least keep this in mind once they get to that point

@bob I 100% agree but practice only does it’s wonders when you’re practicing proper technique and I’m unsure as to whether I’m doing it properly or not

also can anyone tell me how you’re supposed use a bullet properly Uncle Squinty says to not use the carb hole and cover it up others say to leave it open and just sniff extra carefully I’m getting so many conflicting things and I’m unsure which is the proper way to use it with snuff

you’re getting conflicting info because everyones nose is slightly different. Best advice try different things and combos till you find it easy to use. Things like placement, distance from nose, closing the carb not closing the carb etc…

should i be putting the bullet into the nose or be sniffing it from outside of my nose i’ve been putting it into my nose and sniffing gently but i have to angle the bullet at an extreme angle towards the flare of the nostril so that it doesnt travel to my sinus

Try both and see which consistently works best. 

1 Like

sweet thanks @bob

2 Likes