SP SNUFFS

I know this topic has been discussed before but I have some serious questions about “straight” snuffs. I always loved some sweet snuff, even while I was still smoking. I also loved sweet tasting pipe tobacco like cherry, rum, brandy etc. Three Nuns was on of my favourites. Things have changed now and I love the “natural” snuffs more and more. What I mean by a straight snuff is something which is pure tobacco, no flavour added. At present I have Taxi Blue and Toque Original and Natural. My question is: what other “pure” snuff would you, the connoisseurs, recommend? I love a coarse, somewhat moist snuff, like Taxi Blue (maybe a bit to wet though). I do not like the dusty stuff that floats right through my nose and down my throat, making me cough. I’m not in love with menthol although I do like snuff like Gawith Apricot. I want ground tobacco. Period. Is that what SP snuff is? And if so, what should I buy? I thank you, gentlemen!! Kind regards!!

Almost all snuff is flavoured in some way, I know Natural isn’t and there might be a couple more. I would describe SP as a style of snuff (think Toque Original) that mostly tastes plain but is still flavoured quite a bit, usually with some sort of citrus. For you sir I suggest Sam Gawith Scotch, the one that is just scotch, not SP scotch (although that is also good), the Scotch is really coarse and strong tasting. It is definitely flavoured with something, but I have no idea what. You might like Gawith Hoggarth SP ( I hate it!) as it is pretty coarse and plain tasting. Have you tried any of the Wilson’s SPs? They are pretty much all good, especially Tom Buck.

I’m quite new to all this but isn’t this what the High Toasted snuffs are supposed to be all about- just tobaccoey goodness? If so, what about F&T High Dry Toast (I have some but haven’t tried it yet) and the high toasts and Irish toasts from the other snuff houses? The only thing is they don’t meet your moisture requirements as they’re all supposed to be pretty finely ground and dry. Maybe F&T Princes would be to your liking? And have you checked snuffreviews.com?

SPs generally have a light citrus or bergamot flavour, which is very much to my taste too. As well as the Toque Natural and Original you mention, there are quite a few other SPs available: Wilson’s of Sharrow: Best SP, Tom Buck, SP100, Queen’s Extra Strong and Gold Label are all light coloured. Best Dark, Brunswick and Burgundy are dark SPs (and very tasty). Samuel Gawith: No.1 High Mill, SP Scotch and Yellow Crest. I love all three. J&H Wilson: SP No 1 McChrystals: S’nuff

J&H Wilson Top Mill is what you’re looking for. I went on this exact same search about a month or 2 ago, and one of the guys here suggested this to me and he was dead on the money. It’s really interesting for me to watch as your tastes change. It’s like I’m watching myself months back when I got back into snuff…I started like you with menthol snuffs, then “progressed” to SP’s and plain snuffs. I pretty much barely use menthol at all, now. I wouldn’t be surprised if next you start to prefer drier snuffs (because you don’t have to blow the nose as much!) and then start liking Scotch snuff more and more…finally I’m now a really big fan of Schmalzler. I seriously can’t stop taking pinch after pinch of this stuff and just keep that maple flavour in my nose constantly!

yeah snuff taste do change. For me it’s every few months. Definatly need to try this Top Mill snuff.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

SP’s are definitely to my liking. So far I would have to say that Wilson’s Tom Buck and Queen’s Extra Strong are my current favorite but I am waiting for my delivery of Toque Original. The things I like best about them are mostly natural flavor with a hint of complexity but not over powering. There is also no clogging or residue so you can definitely hit them hard.

I think it so strange that most SP’s (Tom Buck, Toque Original, Top Mill and Best SP at least) actually will UNCLOG my nose! I can be totally clogged and it will clear me right up…in fact I often take it for that purpose. I think a big reason why I love SP so much.

Don’t forget McChrystals SP. Its a very nice snuff and Frederick Tranters Regency. And yes the American Scotch snuffs are a very good snuff to try if your looking for a plain tobacco snuff.

SP snuffs are my favourites, today I’m on SG No.1 High Mill. They are all plain tobacco with varying degrees of citrus/bergamot flavouring. They are also great because you don’t need to blow your nose very often , at least in my experience. Stefan

I thought I was the only one who used plain snuff to clear my nose. The menthol seems to make my nose close up sometimes. I like High Dry Toast, Irish High Toast #22 and buttercup. I have HDT in my nose right now. It has taken me some practice to learn how to take them without it hitting the back of my throat but it’s worth it.

Its a bit of a paradox but menthol snuffs are generally the ones that cause the most congestion and for head clearing nothing beats a plain snuff, IMHO. The best for me is HDT, pretty much any of the brands and also Stokers plain. Top Mill no 1 is a great snuff - mostly plain but with a touch of something extra. SP’s are generally flavoured with a dab of citrus or bergamot by the way. In effect, most English snuffs are flavoured SP’s in terms of strength, grind and colour. Pieter, a great course snuff and plain as you like is Gawith Hoggarth ‘Kendal Brown’.

menthols actualy seem to work great for getting things out of your nose like if you have a cold. Where plainer drier snuffs seem to be best for getting things up your nose like air.

Tom Buck does it for me every time. If my nose is blocked I am fine as long as I can force a few specks of Tom Buck up it and I will be breathing freely in about a minute.

Snuffster- I was trying to remember the other day who recommended the JW top mill No1 to me…Now I remember it was you! Great snuff- wish the containers were bigger, because for me 1 small container is used up easily in a day. The thing about SP snuffs, too is that they are really great to mix with other flavours- and they will still unclog the nose. Much as I’m bored these days with Wilson Snuffs- I find that none of them are clogging at all. At least none of the 5 or 6 flavours I’ve tried. Whereas ALL of the Poschl snuffs (or any German style snuff so far, actually) clog me up every time. I can do without Poschl snuff, but I love the maple flavour of the Bernard Schmalzler too much to give those up. Maybe Roderick should make a Maple flavoured Snuff? What’s really fun about Toque Snuffs is how pure all of the flavours are. Makes them perfect for inventing cocktails. I think a great marketing tool for Toque, in fact is the fact that by owning all of the flavours, the user is able to create many of his own recipes. Whereas snuffs that are already complexly flavoured are mixes already and not good for personal creations.

I agree completely about the German snuffs - also Brazil doppel is way too sugary for me. I keep returning to Sharrow snuffs, and find that none other even vaguely compares to Tom Buck and Best SP. Recently I purchased a half pound of WS Princes - WOW! That’s snuff for you there! This is so far the only moist snuff apart from Cafe Royale, that I really like. At work I take Princes or SP, while at home I switch to Royal George or Irish No 22. This Sunday my Swedish 1850s wooden table top box is full of SP and my Francis Higgins holds Cafe Royale, which is one of the best snuffs I think.

Well got my order from Toque thanks Roderick. I would have to say that the Original definitely fills the bill as a wonderful SP. The only quandry now is to decide when it’s time to place the large order if it’s 400 grms. of Original @ 29.99 GPS or Tom Buck from Mars @ 40.50 for 1 lb. which is about 453 grms. oh and add shipping to Mars plus no online ordring. I would say that just about makes it a draw…

Hi gentlemen, thanks once more for your advice! And, I do agree now, SP snuffs are great once one has have mastered the art of taking fine, dry snuff. I still sometimes take to big a pinch or inhale to strongly but it’s getting better all the time. And the taste is superb. I love the Latakia Ao 1860 because of it’s totally different taste but I think my favourite right now is Wilsons Top Mill No 1. I also like the SG Scotch but maybe it’s a bit mellow? I tend to take bigger pinches of it because it’s softer than the other SP’s I’ve got. I’m sure that I will progress in my use of SP’s, no doubt about that. But I still like some “sweets” in between!!! Regards

The Top Mill No 1 seems to be being a bit more noticed on the forum these days. It was one of my first snuffs nearly 30 years ago and still a favourite. The only drawback is that its only available in those ridiculous small tins. I always shudder when I see a new snuffer starting on Poschl candygarbage, but then again I’m from the North where men are men and sheep are nervous.