Show me your snuff fridge!

Hey fellow snuff fanciers … With such prized delights as the works of Sir Johnny’s SWS being both too valuable to risk to loss and also susceptible to mold, I invested in a peltier-based mini fridge just for snuffs to keep in my office. I cant find my exact model on Amazon anymore but it’s similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZEP32C/ Anyone else have a fridge just for snuffs? Right now I have all my SWS, Gadsden, Southwest and Rosinski snuffs in there. Of course my first thought when I started filling it was why didn’t I get a bigger one :smiley:

Not really.  I have a little six pack sized playmate ice chest i keep my stuff in. No ice but it works. It’s getting too small as my collection grows though. 

1 Like

@Captainblackboogers a lot of these come with car chargers if you’re still looking to keep your snuff cool on the road

2 Likes

How can you tell if your snuff has mold in it? I have some 5+ year old snuffs and while most seem fine, a couple seem kind of stale, so I don’t really touch them.

3 Likes

^ you can visually see the mold growing all over your snuff, its like a whitish fuzz. Stale snuff is fine to snuff its just dried out so rehydrate and it’ll be back to snuff (pun intended) but dont mess with snuff that has gone moldy just toss it.

4 Likes

I do not really have a snuff fridge. I do have a glass fronted, mirrored back, cherry wood snuff cabinet or bar.

Doc Holliday 

3 Likes

My snuff is kept in old cigar boxes and an old biscuit tin for those relegated to the “I’d rather not go there again but I might” category.

2 Likes

I dont have a frigde as well. Never thought about it.

But I use to buy just about three to eight orders a year. I buy a lot of nasal tobacco then. I use to order about 15 to 20 tins of Aecht Altbayerischer Schmalzler - for example. I vacuum seal them in packages of three to four tins, cans or whatsoever in one bag. I store them in a cool dry cellar room in my house. They keep fresh there, very very fresh.

Vacuum seal is the only methode IMO keeping them as they are.

The worst enemy of snuff (in case of freshness) is air. They tend to air out. And the taste is gone. But with vacuum sealing everything is fine and they keep for months - even years without loosing humidity or taste.

The bags can be used several times, when they are big enough keeping the tins, cans or whatsoever. I use to slice them open with a sharp knife at sealing line. So the material loss is very low. Costs for the sealer were about 20 EUR out of the Bay. The sealing material is 3.50 EUR per roll. And one roll keeps for many many years.

No frigde needed on my side. :wink:

4 Likes

No fridge, but I have a small shelf unit with drawers and open shelves with dividers hung in my basement. The hybrid water heater maintains root cellar like temperatures year round

1 Like

@Snuffalufagis the snuff (SWS from almost 2 years ago) that I’ve kept in the de-humidified basement in the dark and under 50*F has been well. It’s the snuffs I’ve either kept at room temp or put in the kitchen fridge that I’ve had issue with. The snuff fridge too the outsides get wet but insides of the SWS, Rosinski and Gadsden OK so far inside Edit: the cooling on my 2018 SWS is provided by a glassware container with the original plastic tins inside, sitting on the concrete for cool conduction. Seems to work better than kitchen fridge for preservation vs the fridge where I’ve had failures