Finest Quality Indian Snuffs

Two new Fine Border snuffs.Toque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Two new Fine Border snuffs.

Toque new range - is Simpson's a good English name?

Comments

• English product, classic English name.  That makes sense to me.

If it was an American product, or one meant for the American market, the rules are simple for incredible $ales.

An noun with easy to understand connotations, preceded by a descriptor.  Such as:

"More Ammo", "Free Booze", or "Puffy Nipples".  
  • John Bull

• English Products, Names, and Locations.

The Isle of Man is not in The United Kingdom, and the native Manx people are not English, and most probably very proud of their status. 
    The Isle of Man is not in England.

Roderick will have a Manx ( not English) business capitalising on the     English, Olde Worlde snuff taking  image.

If you look at the link in my previous post, you will see the legal trouble Vulfix/Simpson got into when labelling Manx made shaving brushes   "Made In England"  .

Roderick would have to tread very carefully if he decides in the future to label his products Made In England.

• Willikins after the butler from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books :)
  • Simpsons sounds like an excellent English name.  Simpsons of Piccadilly was a large store in London which used to sell excellent ready-to-wear clothes, under the DAKS name.  I gather the store now belongs to Waterstones, the booksellers.  Interesting idea, coming up with a name which evokes Englishness, especially in the context of snuff.  I recall, some years ago, reading an American motor magazine in which there was a column written by someone called Basil Thursday.  He was supposed to be English, with a monocle and all that, and his copy certainly projected that image (possibly tailored to American perceptions of Englishness, which were proabably as inaccurate as our perceptions of Americans).  Wish I could recall the name of the magazine.  I preferred Tom McCahill anyway.  I suspect the works of Charles Dickens might be a fruitful source of suitably evocative names for future snuffs.  A pinch of Pumblechook's, anyone?
  • How about reviving "Balkan Sobranie" in terms of a snuff name. They were the best cigs ever/coolest tins
    ...and maybe not just the name, but reproduce its flavour in a snuff   "...the finest yenidje tobacco...etc"
    Wonder if the copyright holder would go with it?
  • and how about Chesterton [as in G.K.} ?
  • bobbob Member
    You know what to my ears sounds British Lawrie. 

• I like Pratchett's and Chesterson's. Very British, old world feel. I'd like to see a name with old world connotations. It summons the depth of snuff history and of snuffmaking tradition. Think of hand-crafted snuffs in an ancient tobacconist's shop. There's something nostalgic and mysterious in that IMO.
  • ArtChoo, You have a point. 

Bob, I don't know why but I really dislike my surname, not enough to change it but...

Marco, I have been trying to buy a bale of Balkan tobacco for some time. I'd love to try and make an Oriental snuff.

I quite like Bulldog, John Bull, Eton, Signature, Connoisseurs Choice or Connoisseurs snuff But they are well known pipe tobaccos.

With all the help I've recieved "Ambassadors Snuff" is my top choice but the Boss (wife) doesn't like it.

However, she wanted the Manx name "Quilliam" and that could get me shot. (Look it up). Maybe that was her plan.  

The great thing about snuffhouse is having friends to brainstorm with.
  • volungevolunge Member
    edited August 2018 PM
    Walking from Covent Garden to the River Thames a few days ago, I stumbled upon Simpson's in the Strand restaurant and instantaneously remembered this thread.

Till then my first and only association was the cartoon.
  • fredhfredh Member
    edited August 2018 PM
    Hi @Roderick.

The Simpson's name leaves me cold. To me, it brings to mind the goofy, mindless cartoonish long running American tv show "The Simpsons."

How about "Russell's" after the great British philosopher and tobacco lover, Bertrand Russell?

And if that doesn't fly, then I like Wellington, as one of us mentioned earlier.
  • I don't think it should include Bull in the name

British != bull, stallion etc. Most on this forum too :D
  • Roderick even though you dislike your surname,if you're gonna write history in the world of modern snuff(and I think you will...) you have to like it!
    Or did you search your family tree for something else?
  • I would prefer toponyms, hydronyms and oronyms to personalities. Names of the cities, towns, boroughs, counties, rivers, lakes, mountains etc. Just imagine them snuff labels with corresponding pictures!

Or some British flora/fauna. This could even make tins collectable.
  • I was born just down the road from the shop owned by Geoff Duke, the great motor cycle racer, who died not so long ago on the Isle of Man.  I'm not aware that he took snuff, but wouldn't it be nice to name a snuff as a tribute to him?  Maybe with the red rose of Lancashire on the tin, the symbol he wore on his crash helmet.
  • Roderick says conneiseurs- how about Cognoscenti? I know it's not English but I think it better gets the point across

What I'm trying to avoid is striking the chord with the likes of Prince Albert cigars for example, which have created a trend where if something sounds like it's trying to be regal, it's actually quite the opposite
  • bobbob Member
    I think Lawrie is a fine surname and it sounds very not just British but the type of British that would know a thing or two about snuff and be charming while telling you about it while wearing tweed and looking quite fine doing so. Or at least that's my opinion on it. I think it would be the perfect name for a snuff. And hell it may even cause some positive reinforcement to counter whatever twisted sense of name based aesthetics are at play here. 
  • Lawrie sounds, to the English ear, rather like the sort of name of someone who might wear tartan, rather than tweed.  Almost certainly of Gaelic origin, with many variants, one of which may be Larey, the famous "Irish blackguard" of High Toast history.
  • ArtChooArtChoo Member
    edited August 2018 PM
    I think that most English people would immediately think of Johnny Laurie,  the well known Scottish  actor whenever they heard the name Lawrie.

Fine Shakespearean actor, but most famous for his comedy role as the Scotsman Frazer in Dads Army.

Too Scottish sounding to my ears. 

Not that there is anything wrong with Scotland, and  grown men wanting to dress in kilts etc.  

I hear there are plenty of   clansvestites north of the border.

:-\"

• No problem with using an English name, for representing old English recipes (if ressurecting lost snuffs), and you could even label them as such, so long as you don't claim or insinuate that it was MADE in England.

That's a shame about John Bull being taken :(

If you are considering it as an offshot branding to differentiate it from your own recipes, how about double barelling Lawrie? Although Lawrie-Bull sound too much like horrible, so dont use that one :D

Just a thought... Lady Isabella sounds English, but isn't ;)

If you are reviving lost snuffs, maybe call it Old Cumbrian or Porter Brook depending on the original home. Porter Brook is what feeds Wilson's waterwheel. Imagine how much snuff you could grind with Lady Isabella :-O 8-}
  • bobbob Member
    don't call it olde English though. As that's a very cheap malt liquor. 
  • RogueRogue Member, Administrator
    @Roderick Why not actually use your surname? I didn't even know you had one! I always referred to you as "Roderick Toque" or "Roderick Snuff". Hell, if anyone said "Mr. Lawrie" I'd have no idea who they were talking about! Go with your surname, it's nice, it's personal, it sounds english to me (perhaps old english), and you'd have a name on the snuff that the big G could never change...unless they wanted to be sued.

• ArtChooArtChoo Member
    edited August 2018 PM
    @MichaelLarey

I heard that Geoff Duke started his racing career on a Welsh motorbike.

It was a      Rhondda 500

:))

Cheers Michael.

• images
  • ...For a nice dessert snuff!
  • I'd love a snuff called spotted dick sponge :P
  • What styles/flavors will be in the new range? Hard to toss out brand name ideas without knowing anything about the product.
  • Hey, ArtChoo, nice one!  Geoff was one of my heroes, a great sportsman in every sense of the word.  Having to pass his showroom every day on the way to school, I was late on more than one occasion.  If I ever perfect my time machine, my first trip will be back to 1957.  I'll pop into Geoff Duke's in Greenfield Road and buy a brand new BSA Gold Star for
  • I think the forum software refused my pound sign.  I was going to say, buy a brand new BSA Gold Star for two hundred and sixty-two pounds.