My buddy recently came back from London...

And I had him pick up a few goodies for me :smiley: 2 tins of George IV 2 tins of Wild Strawberry (spelled with 2 “w” for some odd reason) 2 tins of Attar of Roses 1 tin of Cinnamon 1 tin of Top Mill I already have tins of Cafe Royale and Golden Cardinal, so there was no need for him to purchase these for me. One tin of the strawberry seems to have better flavor than the other. Of course, one is also in an older tin. Both are still amazing and the scent literally lasts for at least an hour. Maybe more. I am a VERY happy camper/snuffer right now :wink:

Wow, thats impressive Satyr -nice collection of snuff!

This is but a corner of my collection :wink:

Nice haul! Look forward to some reviews!

That looks like a nice pick up, last time I went to Smith and Sons they had a crap selection in! I didnt know they had this many snuffs? Have the increased their range?

It looks like they are all made by Sam Gawith apart from the strawwwwwwwberry, I wonder if that is Wilson’s. It looks kind of like a 25g Wilson’s tin.

My buddy talked with the owner and he said they mix all their snuff right there. They do seem to use the exact same tins, though.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

hydrahead8883, Marscigars has ‘Rose Of Sharrow’.

They also have french carrote from F&T which if mixed in equal parts with rose of sharrow makes for a nice imitation of attar of rose.

I’ve tried the Gawith “English Rose” and it definitely tastes like Roses- but for some reason it feels “artificial” if that makes any sense. I much prefer the Dholakia snuffs like Ganga or Manjul for that type of Flavor. Kamal is VERY strongly scented and has elements of a rose flavor. I’d say Manjul is my favorite of the Indian scented snuffs. For me, though it is very strong snuff and it sneaks up on me. I once took a lot- pinch after pinch of the Manjul and ended up feeling sick and nervous from too much nicotine. I learned to take it in moderation!

Yes, I’m still here… and still working too hard! I will get around to that report one of these days. I’m never likely to forget that factory visit anyway. To the above list I can add one that is no longer in production but which I tried recently, thanks to one of the guys in the pub - Orange Cardinal. It was 40 years old but still wonderfully flavoured. I checked with the MD at Sam Gawith’s. While he seems to recall that they used to make that one for Smith’s he couldn’t find the recipe in his notebook, more’s the pity. Yes - all the recipes are stored as handwritten notes in a cheap little notebook! This week I managed to win a most interesting lot on Ebay - a set of old Fribourg & Treyer mini tins, 12 in total in a cardboard box. They hold 14cc each and date from before the Wilson’s acquisition of the recipes. I’ve tried a couple and the flavours are still there and very good they are too. I’ll have to use them very sparingly though. There is Light Dutch, Kendal Brown, Masulipatam, Dieppe, Dr. James Robertson Justice’s Mixture, Macouba, Etrenne, Morlaix, High Dry Toast, French Carotte, Jasmin and Seville. So far I’ve tried the Morlaix, the Masulipatam and the Light Dutch. Delicious!

The Masulipatan is nearly black and fairly coarse with a rich flavour I’m having trouble deciding what it is composed of. Somewhat fruity and spicy with an underlying richness which I think may be largely due to the age of the snuff. The Light Dutch has a similar underlying richness, leading me to think that the ageing has played a role there and to further support that view, the Morlaix is similar and not really much like the Morlaix we get now. The Light Dutch is quite a bright orange-brown. The flavour is quite a light and relatively plain and which may have lost some of its original character over the years. I’ve found descriptions of these in an old F&T booklet: Light Dutch. Dry, fine-milled, and more or less neutral in character, this snuff has a charm of its own for the user who prefers a plain blend without perfume. Light Dutch deserves more support than it receives, since the quality is undoubtedly there. Masulipatam. A coarse-milled, more or less unscented snuff of heavy Cuban content.

big blue- I could be wrong…I have both Kamal and Manjul and was pinching both that day heavily for about an hour before I got over-nicotine’d. I felt ancy, nervous and it wasn’t pleasant for about 15 minutes. Once it wore off, I went back to pinching…at a slower pace…I must have been too excited about the new snuffs- it happens to me often-need to learn moderation!

I do agree! But I suspect that when Wilson’s bought the recipes they only picked the ones that sold best, which I guess makes good business sense, however frustrating for the snuff takers of today. Mind you, the small size of the tins I bought is nearly as frustrating! I’ll only be wheeling them out on special occasions, though I will take them with me to our weekly pub meet on Wednesday. So… if any of you are anywhere near Hull on this coming Wednesday evening you are cordially invited to come along and take a pinch.

I’ve never wished I was near Hull before. (never thought about Hull much in fact).