Toque flavors just not there

I’m brand new to snuff as of today. I did a lot of reading and research beforehand and picked up a small selection of things I thought I’d love from mr snuff. Thus far I’ve tried Ozona President, which was delightful, and toque grapefruit and ginger, which I found a lot less so. The grapefruit smells like musty cat pee with a hint of fruitiness and the ginger like spicy cat pee. Given that both are really unappealing, I’m thinking it may be my expectations of flavor that are the issue. Seems really unlikely that I got two bad tins. Are the flavors generally really muted? When I read descriptions for the grapefruit in particular, I thought I’d be getting more of a fruit scent with a background of tobacco. Not ammonia and dust. Is just that I’m new to this and haven’t developed a palate for it?

ammonia is the sign of fresh snuff you just need to air it out for a little bit. It’s a good thing as it means you got fresh snuff that hasn’t been sitting on the shelf and once aired out it will be at peak awesomeness.

2 Likes

Well that’s a relief. I honestly figured there had to be something I was missing. There being an issue with both tins seemed really unlikely.

1 Like

Toque can be like plain baked and under-seasoned chicken sometimes, but on other days seems to be like Cordon bleu!!! All aspects of environment and humidity make determination different (I.E.) inside, outside, day, night, rain or shine and don’t forget any changes in attitude.

2 Likes

I’ve also found if the aromas aren’t registering try taking a step outside - fresh air opens em up for me

1 Like

@bob do you just remove the lid and let them sit out? Or can you store them away and naturally age them a couple months or what? Is there an ideal time for them to age enough to lose the ammonia smell? Or is it a test it daily type thing? I have several fresh Toque tins that just arrived.

a few hours open should work or waiting a little bit with them in the tin should work too.

1 Like

mmm ammonia   :-bd

2 Likes

I have some Toque snuffs that are years old and they are still fantastic. 

3 Likes

Second the last comment above.! Have a variety of old skool Toque from the beginnings.

2 Likes

@Roderick I still think there should be a warning or notification about this on the site or at least someway of saying hey the ammonia means fresh.

1 Like

This could be clarified in Toque FAQ section.

2 Likes

@Roderick  I’ve got to say, the grapefruit has already mellowed out a lot and I’m enjoying it a lot more, particularly with a tiny sprinkling of the Ozona on top. 

I was prepared for some ammonia smell, but I don’t think I was expecting it to take over quite that much. I’ve got about 11 tins in my cart at Toque that I’ll be snatching up as soon as my wallet allows!

1 Like

Lol. Thanks for chiming in and making it clear that you care about customer feedback/ perceptions. I was in customer service for over 15 years and that’s what I look for in a company. I decided to buy directly from you guys next time instead of Mr Snuff because I started out chatting with their support and their response was "Yep, that’s normal’. Didn’t seem right to me, given how many people I have seen saying great things about Toque. I really tried to word my post on a way that made it clear that just really new and didn’t know what to expect. I really appreciate how awesome everyone here is… No one treated me like an idiot, which I kinda was. This is a pretty awesome.community in general.

2 Likes

One gripe… Need to shutter the utter for more scent on the peanut butter.

1 Like

I am a loyal toque snuffer lol.i only use toque