OT: Import Duty

Wonder if any one can help, I am looking at importing cigars (specifically from the US because of the price). I know there is a risk of of these cigars getting caught in customs. Now from what I can find, I will get charged at the rate of £168 per kilogram of cigars. I only want to import a bundle of 20 pretty cheap cigars, which cant come any where near that weight, so will I charged less? Or is Her Majesties customs just going to slap on £168 to my $30 dollar order? In which case I would be better off placing a larger order. I wonder if any any one else on the forum has imported tobacco (other than snuff, which is tax free in the uk) and can offer some advice on what I am likely to get charged? Another question is if I get hit with a massive import fee, can I just say no thanks, and cut my losses? I have googled this but cant get a clear answer.

Hi, i got stung importing rolling tobacco from the EU to UK - 8 X 50gram pouches raped up in party raping paper to make it look like a gift, this didn’t work as customs seized my tobacco and sent me a threatening letter - i didn’t send any money to them so they kept my tobacco to be destroyed or some such rubbish (more likely smoked / sold by the lads down the warehouse)

Hi Mopey, Whatever we order stock wise into the UK for Snuff Store from outside the EU carries a hefty import tax - snuff or accessories. Customs are very well set up for this and you get a letter from them in the post with a URL and a reference number. You go to the URL, type in your reference number and pay your bill. It’s then sent in the post as normal. Ta-Ta Tim

I didn’t know you paid import tax on snuff. I have never bought snuff from abroad. The one thing we do have going for us in the UK is great snuff retailers!

Hey, this worked for us. Dress up as savages, board the ships, break open the overtaxed tea, er snuff, rather, and dump it in the harbor. Haw Haw!

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks for all the answers. I have found a friendly UK cigar forum and a guy there who supplies for reasonable prices. Still not as cheap as the Americans are getting them, but not bad all the same. I will try at some point though to import some cigars, just to see the outcome. Wont be leaving snuff behind though, cigars are a weekend indulgence for me, well at least until I find some way of getting rich!