Get 15% off all Sir Walter Scott snuffs.Finest Quality Indian SnuffsToque Snuffs

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Please consider helping to support the Snuffhouse forum.

Toque dale. 15% off all Toque snuffs.

Abraxas.

Does anyone know if Abraxas are still producing snuff?  

Is it possible to order from them direct? 

Thanks

Comments

• @Bagombo I think you are out of luck. Nigel shut down to my knowledge
  • fredhfredh Member
    This is a very sad turn of events. 

The end of an era.
  • Sad indeed. Better stock up on SWS  before Johnny decides to pack it in altogether
  • Johnny has no intention of quitting as far as I can gather.
  • I'm glad SWS intends to keep crafting .. I've only just discovered Lundy Foot and love it !
  • bobbob Member
    Sad that Abraxas has stopped. Their main snuff was incredible and the dragun menthol was my go to snuff for a long while. :( I hope Nigel is still doing well though.
  • ProbateGeekProbateGeek Member
    edited September 2017 PM
    My go-to was Cafe 11. Then Premium Batch Fin. Down to my last 70 grams - then what? Bah...
  • The previous posts indicate that Abraxas shut down. Does anyone know if there
  • Has anyone tried the Abraxas Premium Batch Coarse that Mr. Snuff recently started selling again? It only has one review and must be old unless Abraxas opened shop again. Uncle Squinty gave rave reviews to a couple of other Abraxas snuffs after he rediscovered the jars after a couple of years. Hoping this holds true presently.
  • SammyD13  they're very dry and very coarse....but rehydration does very good to this snuff because of the great tobaccos used!
    The Connoisseur Cerise fire cured although was very moist like snus(great snuff)
    I'm still waiting for my last order with 4 Abraxas Conn.Cer.regular to try(20 days now)....

:-SS
  • @tobaccobob did you rehydrate directly or indirectly?
  • I just place 1-2 teaspoons in a small tin(Toque's 10g for example) and cover it with a very wet(not dripping) paper towel.Leave it overnight or some hours and it's ok.
    I don't know if this is direct or indirect or something between but it's very effective....
  • @tobaccobob I just got some Abraxas Premium Batch Coarse and Cerise and rehydrated them as you recommended. It worked great!
    They are both sublime. The tobacco flavor I find to be incredible- almost incomparable.
  • SammyD13SammyD13 Member
    edited October 6 PM
    Recenly acquired some dried-out Abraxas Cerise and Premium Batch Coarse. I rehydrated indirectly with some success. The tobacco scent is absolutely superb, but based on reviews and descriptions, there seem to be flavors still lacking. Based on what I can tell, these snuffs were originally made with some kind of liquor. My hope is to recase these snuffs with some kind of liquor- to raise the moisture further and to bring the scents back to life. The key question is what kind to use. My first impulse would be to use cognac, but I want to leave the original flavorings intact. My concern about vodka or grain alcohol would be adding harshness. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
  • bobbob Member
    rehydrated snuff is never quite the same. Always elements missing. I think it was brandy and sherry used in the orginal Abraxas.
  • Thanks @bob and @Johnny for the suggestions. I added good cognac to the dried-out Cerise and Premium Batch Coarse and let the alcohol decant somewhat. It really does bring out the scent more. It's quite apparent that the scents were designed to be bound by fine liquor. The added moisture seems to have improved the nose feel as well.
  • @SammyD13 Do you feel extra nose burn from added alcohol?
  • @volunge no nose burn. I decanted the snuff after adding the cognac to avoid that (stirring occasionally). Not for too long- a couple of hours.