Cheap genuine french style unused snuff boxes on ebay.

For those of you interested in french snuff boxes, here is a seller in France that sells them quite reasonably: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ra-3907/Tabatiere-/\_i.html?\_fsub=14506089016&\_sid=1313632726&\_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 They are all new, unused, according to the photos and the descriptions, I already grabbed 3 of them but he still has a lot to choose from. Enjoy.

Check Etsy, too. There are several French vendors there selling snuff boxes.

Haven’t got much luck finding anything remotely similar on etsy, and the ones resembling are quite used or even unusable. My OP was strictly related to vintage but new ( a.i. unused) boxes.

I have purchased several on Etsy that I am using. Have to look closely at the photos for damage, cracks, and holes. I suspect a vintage unused snuff box is a rare find indeed.

I just got my 3 boxes from this seller, they look much better in real life than in the photos, and I can confirm they are absolutely authentic, new, with no sign of use or wear. I fact they look and feel so good that I am almost shy to put any snuff inside, hahaha. Very happy with this purchase.

1 Like

Nice! I do like the look of those, but I’ve decided I have enough (more than enough) snuff boxes now. Although I do wish I’d had the opportunity to grab one or two a couple of years ago.

For your amusement, and edification, some low quality pics in artificial lighting. unnamed unnamed 1 unnamed 2

2 Likes

Those are VERY nice snuff boxes. Good find!

@Gilliat

I don’t see the Chess Board one on his site , how did you find it ?

Do they leak at all ?

@yisraeldov : they are one of a kind, of course the listing ended when I bought it, this is why it doesn’t appear anymore. ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222386732413 ) They do not leak at all, the seal is perfect, I filled one of them with some fine grind WoS and shook it vigorously in all directions, nothing is coming out. He currently has another 30 boxes, I would buy at least other 10 of them if I would have the money, even if only for collecting, it’s still incredible to me that they are so cheap, given the fact that they are unused in pristine condition.

Awesome just ordered one, I’m so excited as it’s pretty much my very first snuff box if you dont count the plastic one i got my de kralingse in. Thanks for the heads up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I pulled the trigger on another 3 of them, due to be delivered today or tomorrow. I sincerely hope the seller doesn’t post any other boxes, some are too beautiful to resist.

just picked up one [the one with coww horn]–thanks Gilliat! BTW, when did these stop being produced?? did the St Claude snuf box and briar pipes both go away or is there some residual French   atisanship still going on?

@marco: good that you picked that one, I was eyeballing it lately, but I am more attracted to the wooden ones. I didn’t have the time to dedicate myself into researching the history of Saint-Claude woodworking tradition, and I am not very passionate about french pipes either. This particular style of snuffboxes though is something quite interesting. It seems that “The manufacturing of such a snuffbox, requires in between 60 to 80 passes (different working phases made on the same object) depending on the model.” ( http://tabatieres-snuffboxes.chez-alice.fr/fabrication\_tabatiere\_gb.htm ) I am not even sure they were produced only in Saint Claude, as I have seen others with different inscriptions on the metalic lip thumbrest. ( LA BRETONNE, LA JURASSIENNE, etc…) anyways, my opinion is that they are at least 50 years old, maybe even 100. I sincerely doubt that they would be so cheap if produced nowadays. You cannot truly appreciate that craftmanship until you hold one in your hand.

1 Like

Just ordered me a couple of these boxes, the naked lady and the fishing scene.

2 Likes

The one that looks like a monstrance is awesome.  No money for that though - wifey would kill me.

@n9inchnails I’m glad you saved me from buying that one also. 3 of the 7 boxes in this style that I already own come with the metalic lip on the cover, and these do open/close smoother than the ones without. I think the seller still has unlisted boxes, as ke keeps puting up to 30 items, adding new ones each time he sells some.

Latest arrivals:

IMG_2317 IMG_2322 IMG_2336

2 Likes

Whoa i almost bought the “nekkid lady” it was actually my wife who said i should buy it  :)  i am tempted buy another of these boxes

@Hawaiian_Ryan  This is where he got those boxes.  I picked up a couple and they are in perfect condition, my guess is that they are from the private collection of a non-snuffing family member who passed away