Toning down Fribourg and Treyer snuffs.

I like most of the Fribourg and Treyer snuffs but I find the scents very powerful.

Can anybody recommend a plain snuff to dilute them down a little?

I don’t want to change their smell or texture, just lighten up on the scent.

Cheers.

I used to use Toque Original or Natural or Viking Blonde Or Dark.

1 Like

WoS Natural Viking Blonde Viking Brown Viking Thors Hammer Toque Plain or Plain Coarse Any SP that you find a little “tame”

1 Like

BTW - add the F&T to the base a little at a time, not the other way round. Even diluted to 20%, many of them can still be quite lively

1 Like

I never used more than a 10:1 ratio plain/F&T.

1 Like

Thankyou    50ft_trad   and  SandwichIsles   .

I will compare the   50ft_trad  lists of demised snuffs with both of your recommendations.

I may as well start using a snuff that is going to be around for the future. That way I will be able to produce a repeatable  blend in future years.

I did read in a book somewhere about F&T snuffs being toned down and that a particular snuff guru recommended a certain ratio.   That was with the original snuffs when the London, Haymarket shop was

in full swing.  Things may be different now with Wilsons  F&T Brand.   If I find it again I shall let you know.

I  hope you both found the second snuff poisoning case  at the end of the previous one.

Thanks again Chaps.

I think that ratio has been mentioned here before, probably by PhillipS who sadly disappeared from the forum a long time ago. I cannot remember the ratio, but I remember it seemed a ridiculously small amount. All the snuffs I’ve mentioned are still available. I purposefully excluded snuff I knew were out of circulation for the future.

1 Like

I like one snuff spoon of a F&T to aprox 2 or 2.5 gms of Dholakia Sparrow.

Dholakia Sparrow is a good and fairly strong, cheap snuff, but I find it to be exceedingly bland.

1 Like

I remember reading somewhere that F&T snuffs were initially designed exactly for this, to flavour plain baccy. I got 5 different types of their medium sized tubes ( Bureau, Bordeaux, Morocco, Princes and Santo Domingo) still unopened, and the only snuff in my collection that I find boring enough to benefit of some spicing would be SG Irish D Light, if grinds are similar I would try 1:9 or 2:8 ratio. If not, maybe somebody more familiar with their texture can recommend another type ( maybe some Toque?). I would’t waste any Vikings, they are quite good as they are.

2 Likes

They were originally meant as mixers?  That’s interesting.  Way back in the day, on the Yahoo board, one of the favorite “recipes” was “Parisian Toast”, a mixture of Old Paris with High Dry Toast.  So it seems like people kind of figured that out on their own, anyway!

2 Likes

The third post in this thread… http://snuffhouse.com/discussion/9360/review-fribourg-treyer-bureau … refers to an old text, and advises a ratio of 1/4oz to 1/2oz to the pound, which is a ratio between 1:32 and 1:64

2 Likes

I like to add wilson’s natural or f&t high dry toast to a lot of snuff to tone them down and add nicotine to them.

2 Likes

50ft_trad      that is the very post that I have spent all afternoon searching for.

I have entered all sorts into the search box here and not found it.

I have a copy of the book printed in 1921 and skimmed through that twice yesterday and not found it.

I shall give it another skim tomorrow.

Going off subject a bit,   that article mentions Bureau,   I know this is a mix of six snuffs, and it is no longer being made since the changes.  

So I figure  that as F&T Kendal Brown and Morocco are no longer being made also, one or both may be a constituent of Bureau.  If they are not being made, you cannot make Bureau.

Just a thought. … Perhaps the blenders at Wilsons will laugh their socks off at my logic and I may be completely wrong.

Thank you everyone.

Agree about ridiculously small proportions of FT. Amazing how strong the scent is all the way do to 10%.

1 Like

^ Yeah, bordeaux is still identifiable at much less than 1:10

1 Like

Finally found the passage in the book.

Cover title      An Old Snuff House   1720   1920

Inside Title                 The Old Snuff House of Fribourg and Treyer, At the Sign of the Rasp and Crown,

By George Evans.

Page 15.

Macouba was a snuff very strongly scented with Otto of Rose.    Masulipatum, an oriental snuff of very powerful and not very fascinating flavour.   Both these were only used for flavouring large quantities of other snuffs, a quarter or half an ounce being sufficient to flavour a pound of snuff, according to the strength required.   They were packed in bottles resembling claret bottles, and sold by the pint bottle.  It was very difficult to get the snuff out of these bottles, and a long iron skewer was used to assist in the operation.

That gives ratios of 1:64    and     1:32    .

3 Likes

I found the original thread a week or two ago that. I mixed up some F&T Morlaix into some HDT. Next tI’m I’ll have to measure it out, but my guess is that it was close to 5 parts HDT and 1 part morlaix. I ordered some toque plain, so next time I will use the plain, but I will try a 10:1 ratio.

1 Like

I use scotch snuffs to dilute them ,I like the extra smokiness it adds. 10/1  calms them down. and make the scotch less dusty 

1 Like

50ft-trad  I took your advice and got hold of a tub of Viking Brown to dilute my F&T snuffs.

There are probably plenty of people reading this who will now get upset with my opinion of Viking Brown.

It smells and looks nice in the tub and has a lovely moist texture with a medium grind. Very easy to use.

What makes it ideal for blending is its almost complete lack of any scent that I can detect.

Not even a tobacco smell in the nose.    How anyone can rave over this snuff is beyond me.

Excellent recommendation from you for toning down Fribourg and Treyer snuffs though.

Brilliant base to start from.

Cheers.

1 Like

Another classic example of how individual our sense of smell is. To me, Viking Brown is a snuff that “works”. F&T are snuffs that “sing”. They would surely “dance” well toghether in a carefully calculated ratio.

2 Likes