makeshift sinus rince/neti pot

anybody out there use anything other than what they should to clean their nose out? 

looking for inspiration other than breathing in with nose around a tap haha!

A small toy teapot, a medicine dosage syringe, a glass spouted vinegar pot…

good idea’s! 

I have some oral syringes 5ml ones but have used them in the past for unspeakable things haha!

shall definitely keep an eye out for a small teapot ! 

can buy bigger oral syringes at local chemist for 50p so might stock up aswell ! 

thank you !

2 Likes

My wife has a plastic neti pot she bought at a pharmacy for very little. Works well.

Make sure you use distilled or boiled water. Don’t want any brain eating amoebas getting in there.

1 Like

I have heard you need to add salt to your water solution otherwise it’ll burn like a bitch.

I occasionally fold up a few squares of tissue paper into a roll then dampen them with water, then I twist them in my nose. It actually works quite well I havent needed to use a neti pot for several months.

Lol, first time I used it was well water straight from the sink. I did get a minor infection. My wife the nurse flipped out. She said that’s why we have distilled water

2 Likes

I usually just use the steam in the shower to clear my nose up. If that doesn’t work, I use a saline flush and squirt some of it up my nose and that works.

1 Like

brilliant! cheers guys! 

so whatever  i do, pre boil the water.

i have to go to the chemist every single day so i shall ask in there if they have any. unfortunately todays is the one day of the week i dont have too. Are they called Neti pots everywhere? eg UK

@Tekno yea my one is called Flo Sinus Care. I’m sure if you ask them if they sell Sinus flushes they should know what you are talking about.

brilliant, will ask tomorrow when im in there : )

thanks! 

Neti Pots make me angry.  If you can touch a little teapot to your nose and have water gently flow through your sinuses, you don’t need a neti pot because YOUR NOSE ISN’T STUFFED.  I can stand there with the neti pot up to my nose all day and that water ain’t goin’ nowhere.

I use a 60ml plastic syringe from the pharmacy.  And I make the saline solution.  Boil two cups of water.  Let it cool.  Stir in one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda.  BLAST IT INTO YOUR NOSE with the syringe.  REALLY BLAST  IT if you want it to actually get through there.

At least, that’s what I have to do.  

have tried with 10ML syringes hahaha will have a go at that one later :wink: cheers!

@smm I’m not a doctor, and I don’t play one on TV, but if that’s the only way you can get water to your sinuses I might suggest you see an ear, nose, and throat doctor.

1 Like

I have those little nasal sprays from Arm & Hammer.  You can use them just to clean out your nostrils or you can use them as a deeper rinse.  They have a mentholated one advertised as a “night time” remedy that puts Hedges to shame…I mean…this stuff stings!

I also use the regular one to mist dry pipe tobacco or snuff.  One spritz works great.

I use a glass of warm water w/ a 1/2 tsp of kosher salt mixed in. Then I “drink” the solution by covering one nostril, and sucking in with the other. Then blow it all out, and I do that at least once a day, or whenever I get a clogged nose. I works every time. I just bought a neti pot the other day, but I find that the glass works better. I have tried mixing in baking soda, but the straight salt seems to work best. I also have a squeeze bottle of salt water that I use when  doing dry white snuffs, like White Elephant. The important thing, in my experience, is that the water is warm, and not too salty.