Question for Menthol lovers

So, for the couple years I’ve been at this so far I’ve not liked anything medicated. At all. Ever. Just recently, though, I’ve started getting into them. This compelled me to put in my first McChrystals USA order, which led to my first pinch of O&G, and boom. Life changed in the span of a short sniff. It’s actually strange. I know it falls into the medium to low nicotine range, but it totally satisfies me every time. I’m not sure if it’s a function of the menthol opening me up so I absorb more, or if the menthol and camphor themselves do something to quell the urge. Whatever it is, I have had no need to suppliment with anything stronger. In fact, for the last two days, I have reached for nothing, NOTHING but the O&G. No rotating at all. That’s a first for me. Since starting with snuff, I’ve always been a heavy and frequent rotator. Anyways, I guess my question is this. Is this rejuvenating effect going to eventually ware off? Am I starting a ladder of stronger and stronger medicated snuffs I’ll need to find the same satisfaction? Or will it always feel like this? I’d just like to know what I’m into before I, say, invest in very bulk quantities.

I’m not a menthol lover by any means, but I know exactly what you mean about O&G. It compelled me to try other medicated snuffs, none of which come close to the satisfaction. That’s why I suggested you buy the largest tub of O&G you could afford :wink:

1 Like

@Zanaspus Lol Gotta admit, you really called it. Already trying to decide whether to risk ordering three bulk tubs all at once, or in separate orders at one tub at a time to avoid problems with customs B-)

I’m not a menthol fan, and I doubt I ever will be. That aside, sometimes to just know deep down when you find a snuff that works for you. I’ve had that with Berwick Brown, GH Cherry, Best Dark, SG SP Scotch and several others. If you’ve connected with it that well, by all means get a couple of tins tucked away. What I would say though, is be prepared for unexpected down times. You might find that you drift away from it for a while, and start to wonder if you made a mistake getting so much. Don’t panic though, as when conditions are right you’ll stuffing your hooter just as greedily again. GH Cherry is one that is quite seasonal for me. The season is very much here right now, as I have been dipping into it quite regularly, even when it hasn’t been part of the daily carry

1 Like

I love O&G, I chased down all the menthol bombs but i find there is a certain balance in O&G that is very comforting and satisfying. I’d spring for the large tub if I could. That and the Hopfen Schnupf . I also been hitting both of them often. I’d even take it off your hands if you change your mind.  

1 Like

@50ft_trad Since March of last year, Blue Crest was my all day go to, until it’s recent discontinuation. I’ve been hitting the community to grab up as many funds of it as I can, but no matter how many I get my hands on, it’ll eventually run out. I always rotated with it, but it was the one snuff that assays sounded good, regardless of what kind of mood I was in. It’s discontinuation promoted my search for a new go to, and I’m pretty sure I’ve found it with the O&G. Funny, if you’d told me around Christmas time that Blue Crest would disappear and I would replace it with a menthol, I would have told you you were nuts, but here we are! @basement_shaman I’ve already put a 200g tub in my cart. Just waiting for tomorrow after I deposit my paycheck to go ahead and finish the order. Gonna order more of the Highland Ice while I’m at it. It’s probably a bit strong for all day use, at least for me, but it makes a GREAT wake-up pinch! Each morning this week, when I get up for work, I’ve gone downstairs to put some pipeweed in my dish to dry (been Frogs OTB and McC Stave Aged 35 all week) and taken a watermelon seed pinch of Highland Ice. By the time I get upstairs, I can feel it behind my eyeballs and I’m fully awake. No joke, it’s added thirty extra minutes of downtine before work, which means more time for coffee. Win-win B-) Everyone seems to be loving the Hopfen Schnupf, but I’m weary. So far, the boozy snuffs have been hit and miss for me. I tried the Toque Champagne, and it smelled like flat beer. A couple hours later, it was still there. I was loving the W&H, but after about a week I realized that the harmala alkaloid concentration in Rustica doesn’t agree with my brain chemistry. If they had a Whiskey and Honey with exactly the same scent and consistency, it would be a go, hands down. The Toque Absinthe, despite popular opinion, I liked. Not exactly a perfect representation of absinthe, but a very soothing anise snuff nonetheless. Someone told me the Hopfen Schnupf smells like beer and… medicinal herbs. If that’s the case, I’ll probably pass.

On the above post, I’ve been wondering if the Hopfen Schnupf smells different than the McChrystal’s Hops, or if they’re the same snuff in different tins.  Also, the Toque USA W&H and the Toque W&H have slightly different scents, with the UK having a more pronounced whiskey flavor, and no rustica in the tobacco blend - can anyone confirm my W&H thoughts to be correct?

1 Like

@Hitsuzen I can relate 100%. That’s why I’ve made sure I have got certain snuffs in bulk, and I’m not using them either. I’m focussing on the “OK” snuffs in my array first, knowing I have a goodly supply of the old faithfuls (about a dozen in total) if I get bored or if supply dries up. As an aside, WoS do a Whisky and Honey without rustica, but I haven’t tried either the WoS or Toque versions, so can’t offer comparison notes.

Just to clarify Toque W&H does not have any Rustica in it only the USA version does and Toque Champagne is grape flavoured,  it isn’t supposed to taste boozy.

and yes the USA version is noticeably sweeter and less smokey than the original, I suspect it’s to counteract the bitterness of the rustica

@n9inchnails I was talking about USA W&H. And the Champagne I got (less than a month ago, fresh from Toquesnuff.com) smells like beer.

@Hitsuzen Now all those snuffs you didn’t quite go for just add a bit of O&G and see if it is better. My nose and taste buts are on the fritz because of the Chemo treatments I like the hops for the sensation pairs  well chased with O&G. 

@SeanOCDPx The hops are the same just different labels

1 Like

@basement_shaman Paycheck went in and I pulled the trigger on my order. 200g tub of O&G, some more Highland Ice, and some Hopfen Schnupf. If I don’t like it, I’ll send it your way. Still have your address B-)

1 Like

I haven’t enjoyed a medicated snuff since the 70’s when Dr. Rumney’s Mentholyptus and Dean Swift Bezoar Fine Grind were the only snuffs readily available in the US.  

After a few visits to the UK and establishing a relationship with F&T for my HDT and Mr. Vivian Rose of G. Smith & Sons for Cafe Royal I didn’t look back.

I suffer from serious menthol backlash:  A few minutes of open airways followed by clogged sinuses and hours of being transformed into a Cro Magnon mouth breathing knuckle dragger in need of a crash helmet and a drool bucket.

I might have to give this one a go…samples more than welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like