interesting snuff box on ebay

Found a decent looking brass snuff box on eBay for anyone that might be interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Style-Brass-Tobacco-Snuff-or-Pill-Box-Ring-Container-Box-/351361397138?pt=LH\_DefaultDomain\_0&hash=item51cec57192

Found these, not on Ebay, I just didn’t want to start a new thread… I don’t remember seeing them here before… Found them HERE

Nice. I like brass as a material, but it does need to be handled every day to get that lovely deep patina. If you left one of these in a drawer it would get dull very quickly.

From the web page for the box:

“Due to its metallic properties, brass alloy containers should not be used to store unprotected food or directly consumable items. Please wrap all such items before storing.”

Is this a genuine concern for snuff?

Yes a concern!

1 Like

Best to paint the inside with clear nail polish or other hard finish, and don’t forget to do the underside of lid.  Just don’t scrap the new finish with a metal spoon. I do like the Best Made tinker box  Tinder cat gw ojgldl 

I have the flip top case from Ted Cash, as well as the little round lidded case from the same maker.  Very good quality.  Ted Cash makes supplies for black powder.

I accidentally left some kendal flake in my brass flip top case and it may have permanently stained it.  I can’t scratch it off.  I wasn’t worried because I usually keep just enough for the days’ use - but now I have a little plastic liner in there.

I know brass can be quite bad for food storage, though can someone explain why you would get sick from putting snuff in a brass tin without an enamel or clear coat of sorts?