Fribourg and Treyer Santo Domingo

At first, I didn’t find this snuff appealing at all. After a few days though, I’ve begun to appreciate it. It is very complex, at first I just got a dark, fusty tobacco scent from it. Now, I get cedarwood and something bitter and floral. Reviews describe it as violet. The finish is leathery, it reminds me of Toque’s Berwick Brown. Good, antique smelling snuff. Quite high in nicotine.

A small group of snuff using friends have labeled this one: Enchanto Domingo. For me, it’s the top F&T blend. Like a forest after a summer rain, dark earth, cedar, leather, subdued florals. Unique and delicious…totally enchanting.

it’s not my favorite F&T but up there. I like maccouba the best

I recently got this and so far all i get is soft tobacco scents. But I rather like that.

My Daughter said it smell like Hamsters, now whenever I use it I can picture them running on their wheel. It must had been their cedar bedding. I like it, reminds me of happier times. I usually mix a little with a lot of Dholakia White and some times an American Scotch.

My son had a guinea pig as a pet when young and I and other member agree brings the old-school barnyard back to the nose. I like it dry as a bone on the hottest day of the year.

It’s really one of my favorite snuffs and I don’t know why I don’t have it in bulk. It is one of the very few snuffs in the world whose added scents blend seamlessly with the tobacco so you can’t tell where one ends and the other begins. When I read about it initially I thought “F&T snuff with violet? Yawn” and didn’t get around to ordering it for nearly two years after I started snuffing, what a loss! This is NOT a violet snuff, this is a godly snuff that happens to include a hint of violet.

OK, this is gonna seem a little weird…the earthy aroma aspect of Santo Domingo is like a strain of streptococcus…which is naturally occurring in USA Pacific Northwest forest soil. A good Summer rain (very common around here) will cause the bacteria to ‘bloom’ and it gives off a characteristic aroma. Close your eyes and think of the aroma that would result from kicking up a big hunk of dark dirt in the woods (lol). That’s it! Maybe I should call it “Strepto Domingo”? (groan) Whatever. But it’s what makes it so excellent… the soil & cedar & floral & tobacco thing makes it unique, and delicious.

The violet tag is a bit misleading - it’s absolute of violets, which is made from the leaves rather than the flowers, which seems to give more of an earthy scent. Coupled with the cedar it’s a winner for me. I’d put this in the same category as WoS Best Dark, but less floral.

For me, it’s the best of the F&T line - even moreso than the much-vaunted High Dry Toast (though I’ve not tried Old Paris yet, and I have some high hopes for it). I love the stuff - the aroma doesn’t linger quite as long as I might like, but the grind/moisture is such that it lends itself well to large pinches or frequent smaller ones, and that helps alleviate that particular problem.

I really like it on hot dry days.

idbowman, if you haven’t tried it you might also like Princes and Princes Special.

The first snuff I was introduced to was SG Black Rappee, interestingly enough the second snuff I was introduced to, was F&T Princes Special. I of course still take both, and I think you may like Princes Special along with Princes.

Santa Domingo is a damn fine snuff, as are some other F&T offerings. My last tin suffered a bit in storage, but it is definitely one I will get again

Great snuff when humidity drops to 70 or less or makes a mess. Still is excellent anytime tho!

Really nice snuff. I have to have a very clean nose to get the subtle scents. One 50 gm tin of it lasts me a couple of years as i don’t take it very often. But the tin keeps it moist.

I should be receiving Santo Domingo this week, never tried it but looking forward to it

I had to decant my last 50g. This snuff had made the can decay. I thought it be safe, being it kept it fresh. I had taken this picture awhile back. You can see the paint is rippled on the side and the bottom has a deposit of decaying aluminum.

1 Like

Use the glass jars!!! You guys should know the drill!!

It’s probably my all-time favorite snuff - Morlaix and Wilson’s of Sharrow Best SP come second and third. My only problem with it is that I can’t use it all day. It’s more a special occasion snuff for me - same with Morlaix and all the other F&T snuffs I’ve tried - the scents are amazing, but a bit on the heavy side - not saying that’s a bad thing.