OT - Any RPG/Miniature War Gamers?

Just thought I would throw this out here and see if anyone else played Nerd Poker. I’ve been a fan of Pen and Paper RPG’s most of my life starting in the mid 80’s with Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and steadily expanding my habit ever since. I have a pretty big collection of stuff but most of what I play is… D&D Call of Cthulhu World of Darkness Rogue Trader Fear Itself In the miniature war gaming department I play Warhammer Fantasy (Dwarves and Dark Elves) Warhammer 40k (Orks and Dark Eldar) Warmachine I also have a butt ton of board games. If anyone else is interested in table top gaming I would love to here from you. What you play or anything cool you are doing.

D&D/Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun for my RPGs. Warhammer 40k Imperial Guard (47th Harbinger Heavy Artillery) And Magic: the Gathering (just old duffers at a kitchen table, no tournaments)

Very nice… I forgot about Pathfinder. I keep looking at Flames of War and would like to get into some of the WWII Pacific Theatre stuff but I have been resisting the urge to take up another game because I fear my wife’s wrath.

ermtony … who I haven’t seen on here in a while was into that …or his friend snuffhead either … here is his website http://ermtony.pbworks.com/w/page/14871474/FrontPage

I was going to say @ermtony as well. I know he hasn’t been well - he had a heart attack last year - but there might be more news on his website. I never really got on with miniature wargaming - although friends of mine did some excellent Vietnam games using a variation on the Bodycount rules - but I used to enjoy AD&D and Call of Cthulhu.

Never heard of the Bodycount Rules… Sounds interesting, I’m assuming it’s a wargaming system?

Yes - it’s squad/platoon based for Vietnam-era gaming. I’ve no idea who published it or when - the games I’m talking about were back in the late 90s and the collective gaming memory of the participants went back at least to the early 1980s!

@Justin I actually found a PDF download of it on Drivethru RPG… It still has people playing it from some of the images I found on the web. It looks interesting.

i used to be into warhammer 40k tabletop, but the cost as a kid pushed me away to just playing on the computer. spacemarines… but my own, slightly chaos-y chapter. i cant remember if i did it before or after i read about the soul drinkers chapter. once i can find work again i hope to look into it and start again if it hasnt died out round me.

Back in the early 90’s when I got into it the first time around it was way too expensive of a hobby for a kid. (technically it still is…) I tried playing Space Marines at the time and you had to order sprues of shoulder pads or weapons and stuff if you wanted a different chapter, you didn’t just go buy a box of Space Wolves like you can today. About 8 years ago I got back into it and found a game shop in the area that had a pretty active group and I made the mistake of playing Orks. I didn’t realize at the time that you needed 30 minis to equal a unit of 10 Space Marines so several hundred dollars later I had enough Orks to actually be worth while. I haven’t had a chance to play in a about two years now since my wife and I had twins and that kinda puts a damper on the whole, spending $40.00 on a box of plastic toy army guys. I’m just hopping that the game will still be around in a few years so that I can play with my kids and give me an excuse to buy 3 times more… But Hun… It’s not for me it’s for the kids!

Imperial guard is just as bad. You have two choices, either buy 10 for one (IG vs SM) and go infantry or buy uber expensive heavy armor and artillery (and still buy the infantry for a meat shield) but man does a field of leman russ with a baneblade and manticore/basilisk backfield throw the fear of the God-Emperor into people. My oldest son is twelve and has started a tau army. This method works as we get 40k stuff for eachother for holidays and birthdays.

@SandwhichIsles that sounds like a good setup. i very nearly went tau… not seen anyone use them. also had a friend who used necrons. never saw anybody else go with those either.

Yeah… IG is a hoard army unless you go with the big guns. My wife got into the Dark Eldar for a while but she didn’t like to go to the game store to play because some of the guys there were really hard to play with because they kind of acted like jerks when they played with her. I’m just hoping that one of my kids will eventually get into it. Then it’s go time HAHAHA.

I played wargames as a teen in the early 70’s I think I played with D&D when it first came out in 74, but that was a long long time ago in a Universe far far away (Arizona)

@tboyer That’s still great that you got a chance to play. I didn’t start playing until the mid 80’s but sometimes it feels like a Universe far far away… I played D&D for years in Jr. High and then into High School before I discovered cars, girls and… girls. The last several years have been pretty interesting for War Gaming, you can find a game for just about anything that interests you these days. If you are a history buff there are tons of games out there for different periods in history, if you enjoy fantasy settings there are a lot of those and sci-fi as well. It’s not a inexpensive hobby by any means but it can be a load of fun if you get in with the right crowd of people. I’ve always enjoyed wargamming… It’s like chess on an epic scale, with little toy soldiers you get to paint!

I too was an very avid rpg gamer in the end of the 90´s, having played a lot of Rune Quest, Lord of the Rings (ICE edition), Cyberpunk, Kult and a bunch more. I started playing Warhammer 40k by the time the “Rogue Trader” edition came out here in Spain, yep that´s right, the edition Games Workshop sold as a book and came without a single miniature (no problem…I got my hands on 2 sets of Space Crusade and used the miniatures (only Space Marines & Orks but a good start). Fast forward a few years later I stopped playing when they started selling the 4th edition (I´ve already bought everything of the 3rd edition including a lot of suplements) when I realized that if you want to be into the Games Workshop games you have to be ready to keep buying and buying and buying again new sets of miniatures and army books everytime they feel it´s time to make some more money. These days when I have a bit of time (not often) I prefer to play boardgames that need less time, money and are pretty rewarding in fun terms, anyway sometimes I still miss the fun of a good pen & paper RPG adventure…

I think the thing that ticks me off with GW is that (personally) I feel like they don’t care about the game as much as the miniatures. They are getting pretty ridiculous with the game system and updates/new systems every few years and at $80 to $100 for the “rule” book it’s just not practical for a lot of people to play. Then you hear them cry around about how they can’t expand the hobby… Well no crap! You want people to buy a $80.00 book that will only be good for maybe 3 or 4 years and 75% of that book is just full page pictures of armies or fluff that doesn’t have anything to do with the actual game. They can’t expect to grow a hobby and get NEW players or younger players at those price points. I can’t blame a parent for NOT buying their kid a $80 - $100 book and then needing to turn around and spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on paints, tools, minis and all the other things that come along with the game. I enjoy RPG’s and board games much more now than I did years ago and I run a 5th Edition D&D game every Sunday for a few friends of mine and it’s pretty much the highlight of my week!

@SnuffnStuff How is 5th ed D&D? Never made the jump past 3.5/Pathfinder here.

I really like it… I absolutely HATED 4th Edition with a passion so I was really skeptical about 5th. Wizards of the Coast offers a free PDF download of the entire game rule system (which is pretty awesome on their part) and I think that the choice to do that had a lot to do with how people felt about 4th Ed… I downloaded the PDF and really looked it over and liked what I saw so I picked up the Players Hand Book… I think the best part about it is that they took all the things that worked from previous editions and really streamlined the system. If you liked AD&D or even Basic D&D with the open ended flexible system but still mechanically sound like 3.5 you will like 5th. They have distilled down Skills and Feats into basic categories so you don’t have players min/maxing all over the place and opened up a lot of the old “feats” that were specific to a “class” so everyone can use it. At first I wasn’t a fan of the smaller skill/feat list but after a few months of DM’ing it’s really an awesome system. The most important aspect to me is that they have returned to the focus on Role Playing and not just crunching numbers. It makes the game way more fun to play.

That sounds awesome. My group took a pass on 4th for the same reasons, but having run 3rd for… god, 15 years (where has the time gone). Anyway, we’ve been slowly moving toward upgrading as soon as we reach a majority in favor. I’m the DM, so I could just force it, but I don’t want to alienate people.